GASP! comic 161, Mistake!

Discuss anything about DLC

Postby Alcest » Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:06 am

Lanthroviel wrote:
judgement14 wrote:um you kind of did go public
and he doesnt need to bribe you
he can just ban you

+1!

Besides it's not a mistake , as it's METERS per second per second.So it's the acceleration (i think).


<=== Took Physics, and without air resistance, the pull of gravitational acceleration is in fact, 9.8meters per seconds^2, or in Keydar's words "9.8 meters per second, PER second", so there really is no error here :P

Whether or not the distance miji falls is fatal or not, well I'm not calculating that as it's 6:07 in the morning... >_<
User avatar
Alcest
 
Posts: 166
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:52 am
Location: Trapped somewhere in the confines of my messed up head

Postby Durids » Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:22 pm

Did my topic just turn into physics 101?


in other words "Spies? JACKIN MY TOPIC?"
User avatar
Durids
Banned
 
Posts: 52
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:26 am

Postby Lanthroviel » Sat Jul 11, 2009 3:42 am

Durids wrote:Did my topic just turn into physics 101?


in other words "Spies? JACKIN MY TOPIC?"


Do you just admit that now you are trolling?
Web... Web has changed....
User avatar
Lanthroviel
 
Posts: 1181
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2008 12:32 pm
Location: Internet

Postby kozom1234 » Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:31 pm

it's all related to your topic, we are all just pointing out how wrong you are.
If i use my mouse to turn how do I click Lifebloom?

Image
User avatar
kozom1234
 
Posts: 2454
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:10 am
Location: Somewhere far too cold.

Postby felorn » Sun Jul 12, 2009 3:00 am

kozom1234 wrote:it's all related to your topic, we are all just pointing out how wrong you are.


QFT
User avatar
felorn
 
Posts: 437
Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:31 am
Location: Under your bed, eating Felbucks.

Postby Semtex_Jack » Sun Jul 12, 2009 1:26 pm

The only error in that comic is that his acceleration will be a little less than 9.8 meters per second per second, due to air resistance.

Regardless of weight, air resistance is based on aerodynamics, and a small light object wearing cloth will have some air resistance.
Semtex_Jack
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:22 am

Postby kozom1234 » Sun Jul 12, 2009 5:03 pm

he's wearing plate.
If i use my mouse to turn how do I click Lifebloom?

Image
User avatar
kozom1234
 
Posts: 2454
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:10 am
Location: Somewhere far too cold.

Postby wnxcow » Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:04 pm

+ he says he's so tiny, air resistance is neglectable
Image

Image

Image
wnxcow
 
Posts: 279
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:55 am
Location: Behind you, tasting your body */lick*

Postby Wani » Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:31 pm

kozom1234 wrote:he's wearing plate.


Makes no difference to air resistance, as far as I remember. Only really depends on your shape and size.
I'll think of something witty to put in here at some point.
User avatar
Wani
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:42 pm

Postby wnxcow » Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:40 pm

Wani wrote:
kozom1234 wrote:he's wearing plate.


Makes no difference to air resistance, as far as I remember. Only really depends on your shape and size.


plate or cloth DOES make a difference in air resistance... cloth is more flexible, so it catches more wind when u fall, but plate is one massive chunk of smooth steel. air passes tight by it without making it flapperdieflapflap :P
Image

Image

Image
wnxcow
 
Posts: 279
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:55 am
Location: Behind you, tasting your body */lick*

Postby Judai » Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:32 am

wnxcow wrote:
Wani wrote:
kozom1234 wrote:he's wearing plate.


Makes no difference to air resistance, as far as I remember. Only really depends on your shape and size.


plate or cloth DOES make a difference in air resistance... cloth is more flexible, so it catches more wind when u fall, but plate is one massive chunk of smooth steel. air passes tight by it without making it flapperdieflapflap :P


Didn't some1 like Leonardo test this theory by dropping a Bowling ball and a Golf ball (not sure what kind of balls...[that sounded gay...]), and both hit the ground at the same time, so it wouldn't really mater what gear he was wearing, unless a Mage/Priest cast Slowfall/Levitate on him.

I could be wrong, It could have been a Story (based purely on Fiction).
Image
User avatar
Judai
 
Posts: 269
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:09 am
Location: Azeroth D:

Postby kozom1234 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:42 am

yay learning time is fun time! (using my grade 10 knowledge)

all objects are pulled towards the earth at the same rate of acceleration (9.8 seconds per second), so all objects dropped in a vacuum (and area where air resistance is irrelevant [a free fall]) will hit the ground at the same time. Though this statement is true, air resistance is another factor. As a object falls, the object's size and "traits" (i.e. if it is made out of a feather or a bowling ball) affects the rate at which it falls due to how much air it "catches"

"In fluid dynamics, drag (sometimes called air resistance or fluid resistance) refers to forces that oppose the relative motion of an object through a fluid (a liquid or gas). Drag forces act in a direction opposite to the oncoming flow velocity.[1] Unlike other resistive forces such as dry friction, which is nearly independent of velocity, drag forces depend on velocity"

so in a vacuum it does not matter the size or traits of an object, but in real life the cloth would catch the air more than the metal would, (like wnxcow said), and should Miji have rolled a priest he would have been in a better situation for two reasons.

1. The cloth would result in more drag
2. he could levitate.
If i use my mouse to turn how do I click Lifebloom?

Image
User avatar
kozom1234
 
Posts: 2454
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:10 am
Location: Somewhere far too cold.

Postby wnxcow » Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:51 am

kozom1234 wrote:yay learning time is fun time! (using my grade 10 knowledge)

all objects are pulled towards the earth at the same rate of acceleration (9.8 seconds per second), so all objects dropped in a vacuum (and area where air resistance is irrelevant [a free fall]) will hit the ground at the same time. Though this statement is true, air resistance is another factor. As a object falls, the object's size and "traits" (i.e. if it is made out of a feather or a bowling ball) affects the rate at which it falls due to how much air it "catches"

"In fluid dynamics, drag (sometimes called air resistance or fluid resistance) refers to forces that oppose the relative motion of an object through a fluid (a liquid or gas). Drag forces act in a direction opposite to the oncoming flow velocity.[1] Unlike other resistive forces such as dry friction, which is nearly independent of velocity, drag forces depend on velocity"

so in a vacuum it does not matter the size or traits of an object, but in real life the cloth would catch the air more than the metal would, (like wnxcow said), and should Miji have rolled a priest he would have been in a better situation for two reasons.

1. The cloth would result in more drag
2. he could levitate.


SHAPOW, i am 1337, i was right... WOOOW O_O
Image

Image

Image
wnxcow
 
Posts: 279
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:55 am
Location: Behind you, tasting your body */lick*

Previous

Return to DL comics

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 1 guest