DL comics translated to spanish :)

Discuss anything about DLC

DL comics translated to spanish :)

Postby Patapun » Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:30 am

Hi there! This is my first post, so let me introduce myself :)

I am a spanish wow player that simply loves DL comics. Here we have lots of fun reading them (although we're all horde here, hehe)

My friends and i are working on a new spanish wow fan site that will serve much of the information from our realms, but also will focus on translating english sources of information for people that can't read english.

In this topic we would be very proud to translate ourselves DL comics to spanish to let everyone in spain or latin america enjoy these pieces of art that you make here. We have prior experience doing this with wow's official comic, etc.

I have read in this forum that Keydar has no problem with people putting DL comics in their sites, whenever they give credit to him, but this is somehow different and i wanted to ask for permission before doing it.

What do you think about this?

Best regards

Patapun, C'Thun - EU
Last edited by Patapun on Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Patapun

Postby The Great JT » Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:43 am

How did I know you were gonna be a tauren?

The Punchmaster. Do Not Question Him.
The Great JT

Postby Foxeye » Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:03 am

The Great JT wrote:How did I know you were gonna be a tauren?

What does being a tauren have to do with speaking spanish? I have two and I am horrible at it.
Every time I see a beef related tauren name I die a little inside.

Foxeye

Postby lib3rator » Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:04 am

taurens :O
lib3rator

Postby The Great JT » Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:14 am

Foxeye wrote:What does being a tauren have to do with speaking spanish? I have two and I am horrible at it.

The only two Horde races I ever see are tauren and blood elves!

The Great JT

Postby Juonryu » Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:24 am

i think there was a vid from blizz where you can watch a tauren answer in spanish - but i cant recall what video it was...
Juonryu

Postby Patapun » Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:40 am

Indeed

I thank Blizzard for the infinite good choices when you decide to be Horde ¬_¬

Taurens rock, i'd never take anyone from another race seriously... :P The only problem is a 10 tauren raid in a thin, low ceiling corridor in a dungeon (you can't click anywhere, just like in comic #117).

Anyways, let's stick to the topic here... He he

Do you think Keydar would agree to have his comics translated?

Keydar? where art thou?
Patapun

Postby Patapun » Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:46 am

The Great JT wrote:
Foxeye wrote:What does being a tauren have to do with speaking spanish? I have two and I am horrible at it.

The only two Horde races I ever see are tauren and blood elves!

Well, to be honest, i must say that i have 2 taurens and 2 blood elves :P
Patapun

Postby Juonryu » Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:43 am

Tauren, or: we've got the horns so we make the rules.
Juonryu

Postby The Great JT » Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:21 am

Juonryu wrote:Tauren, or: we've got the horns so we make the rules.

"Only two things come from Texas, and I have horns!

The Great JT

Postby Lysis » Sun Feb 17, 2008 4:58 pm

Hey, I've been checking DL comics for quite some time.
Ans recently I've been thinking about translating then into Chinese and posting it on my blog so that more Chinese ppl could enjoy them.
To do that I'll need authorization, can I have it?
DL comics are so hilarious, but I have to translate them each time when I want to make my friends laugh, because they don't speak English.
It'll be much easier for them if they could simply read it in Chinese.

ps. I'm from Taiwan
Lysis

Postby Frioz » Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:28 pm

I wonder how you would be able to translate some of the words in spanish. I think it would be quite interesting to read the comic in spanish, although when I think about anything being translated in spanish, I always think of big Hollywood films being translated... its just horrible when i see them :)

Of course I do not mean you, just that its always interesting to see how words are reworked.
Frioz

Postby rosareven » Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:16 pm

Frioz wrote:I wonder how you would be able to translate some of the words in spanish. I think it would be quite interesting to read the comic in spanish, although when I think about anything being translated in spanish, I always think of big Hollywood films being translated... its just horrible when i see them :)

Of course I do not mean you, just that its always interesting to see how words are reworked.

I agree. Some of the comics involve some cultural background that's hard to translate into other languages.

I'm a Chinese myself. Given this week's new comic as an example, the movie "The Ring" is named something else in Chinese that is not related to rings.

Last week's comic which used a lot of puns is another example of difficulty in translating the comics.

There're some comics that are definitely translatable, however. Those with a universal theme like the AQ lag, AQ linen farm, "C'mon baby, don't stop now", Miji and Narya's spaceship and many others would be fun to read in other languages.
rosareven

Postby Patapun » Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:13 am

Indeed

Anyway, we've already translated all the comics. It's true that some cultural expressions are hard to translate (localize, if you want), but i think that we've achieved a good equilibrium between texts in both languages. Of course, we have used some expressions in spanish with a great likelihood with those in english, and we think that the "spirit" has remained the same. Also, we have shown the translations to some friends that know DLComics and they agree with us on this, so we are happy by now.

I'm really looking forward to open our new site to have some feedback from our readers :)
Patapun

Postby Patapun » Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:57 am

Hey it's me again! I'm back!

We've just released our new site! http://www.trastosdeguerra.com

You can check the translated comics (if you're curious) at http://www.trastosdeguerra.com/comic/view/darkLegacy

:D

Best regards!
Patapun

Next

Return to DL comics