Help with wacom

Discuss anything about DLC

Help with wacom

Postby Spoony » Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:09 am

i have bought a wacom tablet and i would like to draw my own comic so oes anyone have any tips on drawing comics with a wacom (if keydar replyies i will be very happy)
Spoony

Postby Narya » Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:00 pm

which program are you doing to use to draw your comic? Illustrator?
Narya <Dark Legacy>
Narya

Postby Daahl » Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:42 pm

Narya wrote:which program are you doing to use to draw your comic? Illustrator?

I really dont hope he "do" any program, narya.. That would be kind of nasty :P
Terenas :)

Daahl

Postby Spoony » Sun Apr 13, 2008 12:59 pm

I am using photoshop cs3 extended currently
Spoony

Re: Help with wacom

Postby The Great JT » Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:01 pm

Spoony wrote:(if keydar replyies i will be very happy)

Good luck, kiddo. Keydar's title is Mr. Tight Lip No Talky To The Other Users around here.

The Punchmaster. Do Not Question Him.
The Great JT

Postby rvbtucker » Sun Apr 13, 2008 2:07 pm

The Great JT wrote:
Spoony wrote:(if keydar replyies i will be very happy)

Good luck, kiddo. Keydar's title is Mr. Tight Lip No Talky To The Other Users around here.
he replys if hes spoken directly to most of the time. But I'm pretty sure hes busy raiding, working and making new comics most of the time.
Yea thats right....I ZOMFGBBQWTFIDIDNTKNOWYOUCOULDDOTHATANDYOUNEEDANERFNERFZOMFGBLIZZHELPMECAUSEINEEDTOLEARNTOLPAYAHHHpwn
rvbtucker

Postby The Great JT » Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:42 am

rvbtucker wrote:he replys if hes spoken directly to most of the time. But I'm pretty sure hes busy raiding, working and making new comics most of the time.

So that's why he doesn't respond to my messages burned in peoples' flesh...

The Punchmaster. Do Not Question Him.
The Great JT

Postby Keydar » Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:41 am

Spoony wrote:i have bought a wacom tablet and i would like to draw my own comic so oes anyone have any tips on drawing comics with a wacom (if keydar replyies i will be very happy)

If you are new to photoshop make sure you use layers. I draw the comic first in black in one layer then make a separate layer for color. Same with the background, etc. As for the Wacom just put the pen on it and move it around a bit :P.
Keydar
Site Admin

Postby Narya » Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:25 am

it took me a while to get used to my wacom pad, especially the pressure sensitive portion of it, i had to adjust it a few times to get it to feel right for me :)
Narya <Dark Legacy>
Narya

Postby Spoony » Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:03 pm

Ok thanks guys i am working on my first comic now and i will post it here As soon as its ready
Spoony

Postby Moonblaze » Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:33 pm

Just some tips out of my mind:

- When doing lineart, make sure to enable pen pressure for your brush. Until you master pressuring your pen, you can make it easier by increasing the minimum brush stroke. All of these settings can be found in the Shape Dynamics in the brush window. Read for more: http://danidraws.com/2007/08/07/the-com ... photoshop/

- When coloring beneath lineart, you can use set your magic wand tool to sample all layers, select an area and then expand it by one pixel. You can then quickly fill out your lineart without needing to swap between layers for selection or carefully paint closely up to the lineart.

- When shading, duplicate your color layer, lock the transparency and then paint over the duplicated color layer with a grey-blue. Paint with white where you want there to be light, and set the layer to multiply. The grey-blue will then blend as shadow automatically.

- When creating frames, you can use guides as "pre-cuts" to where you want the frame borders to be, then easily add your selection there. Guides are also good to align comic frames properly.

- Don't use Comic Sans! Go here for cooler free fonts: http://bancomicsans.com/

- You can fade things to make it look like they're distant or out of focus by using the Gaussian Blur. Filter -> Blur -> Gaussian Blur. Something between 1-3 pixels is more than enough.

- When creating speech bubbles, you don't have to take an awful lot of time drawing them. Just create a layer and in the layer blending options make an outer glow with normal blend mode, 100% opacity, black color, 2-5 pixels size and 5-15% range. You can then use the ellipse tool on that layer and all your speech bubbles will automatically get outlined. Put the text on a layer above.

- Use light! A white color with a soft light layer settings is great for adding light to your drawing, it will blend automatically and helps creating sceneries.

- Check out http://danidraws.com/2007/08/24/the-com ... photoshop/ for some cool tips on coloring!
Moonblaze

Postby Spoony » Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:43 pm

Wow i have almost finished my first comic without all of those tips Moonblaze just said so i promise to use them next time *trys to finish first quick so he can make a much better 2nd*
Spoony

Return to DL comics