The Blood Elves And Kael's Resolve

Discuss Warcraft Lore

The Blood Elves And Kael's Resolve

Postby The Great JT » Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:28 am

So, 2.4 is coming out probably within the next week, and I think this would be a good time to pull this out of the lore grab-bag. So, without further ado, let me lay a little of this on you.

(Lovingly ripped off from WoWwiki, from the Kael'thas Sunstrider article.)
Compassionate and caring, Kael'thas spent most of his time in Dalaran. During the Third War, with the Scourge invasion of Quel'Thalas, he evacuated as many survivors as he could and burned many of the enchanted forests to spite the Scourge. He assumed command over the bulk of the surviving high elves (see the fall of Quel'Thalas and Splintering) and renamed his followers blood elves in homage to their murdered brethren. All he feels now is hatred for the undead that ravaged his homeland, rage for the Alliance he feels failed his people, desperation over his people's collective addiction to magic, and grief for his ravaged kingdom.

Following the destruction of Silvermoon, Kael began to notice an emptiness within himself and his brethren, an insatiable hunger and disharmony. However, there was no time to deal with that, as Kael had other duties.

It seems to me that Kael'thas seemed to be more fearful for his peoples' plight than ready to consort with demons, and he even outright said to Lady Vashj (chapter 2 of the "Human" chapter of The Frozen Throne's campaign mode) that "his people would never fall so far as to consort with demons", somewhat like Arthas was when the Scourge was sweeping through Lordaeron. However, also reminsicent of Arthas, his fear and resolve to save his people proved to be his undoing, and he joined forces with the renegade demon, Illidan Stormrage.

Kael'thas, aware of Illidan's insanity (brought on by his defeat at the hands of Arthas Menethil at Icecrown, nearly four years earlier), "switched paymasters accordingly", according to Magister Theledorn. Kael's decision to ally himself with the Burning Legion not only led him to betray Illidan, but also the Horde and his own people - the many blood elf pilgrims and adventurers traveling from Azeroth. At Manaforge Ara, agents of the Burning Legion bearing orders from Kael mingle with his Sunfury servitors.

The Scryers, recognizing that Kael's mad bid for power will lead the blood elven race to doom, continue to fight against Kael'thas and his Sunfury fanatics in the hope of saving their people. This is the primary reason for the Scryers' defection. Kael'thas, though judged and seen as a madman, is merely a misguided leader, who will stop at nothing to save his people, even if that means the slaughter of his former followers, the (in his eyes) traitorous Scryers.

Now I'm unsure of the methods as to how Kael'thas was contacted by the Legion (possibly much the same way Arthas came into contact with Ner'zhul, by being some hapless dupe who seemed to fit the bill), but it seems that whereas Ner'zhul/the Lich King drew Arthas to his side, Kael was drawn to the shadow of Kil'jaeden, who is now Sargeras' right-hand man (seeing how his former right-hand man, Archimonde, was destroyed at the Battle of Mount Hyjal). What I'm wondering is when did Kael catch on to Illidan's madness, how did he get contacted by the Legion and why, after saying he would never consort with demons, side with one of the biggest demons of them all?

What do you guys think?

The Punchmaster. Do Not Question Him.
The Great JT

Postby Shadostriker » Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:26 pm

Whoa. Almost as if it were written by the JT himself! :wink:
Shadostriker

Postby WilHiteWarrior » Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:13 pm

What they did to Kael'Thas absolutely disgusts me and almost made me wanna quit WoW. The Kael of WC3 and the Kael of WoW are simply not compatible. I am sorry but there is no way I can accept that the Kael of WC3 that I knew would EVER do the things they say he did on WoW. It simply makes no sense. Sorry for ranting but it ticked me off lol. it just seems blizz cant even be true to their own lore
I was just lookin at it and I suddenly got this irresitible urge to get inside... No... not just an urge. More than that. It was my destiny to be here! IN THE BOX!!
WilHiteWarrior

Postby goris » Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:51 am

yes, sad it is. I personally liked the WC3 Kael more too.

But there's one thing that pisses me off even more. I hate what they did to Illidan. How they made him the TOTALLY worst guy ever. I know he was kinda bad in WC3 but he wasn't really evil and i liked him a lot.

First Arthas defeats him at the Icecrown :( and then when i heard that he's not dead and he will return in TBC they fuck his comeback up by making him an evil monster :(
goris

Postby Lihonessa » Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:53 am

Well, actually, he is an evil monster. After all, he used to be allied with the Burning Legion, and now he is only trying to hide from Kil'jaeden because he failed his assignment.

Not to mention that his addiction to magic and power has gotten the better of him.

/l、
(゚、 。 7
 l、 ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
Lihonessa

Postby goris » Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:11 am

He was allied with BC but his job was to destroy ner'zhul which was kinda good i think.

and he defeated Tichondrius (whoever) because he wanted to save the nelves and show them that he's not that bad.

and he saved Tyrande from a certain death.

he really wasn't that bad in WC3
goris

Postby Lihonessa » Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:39 am

goris wrote:He was allied with BC but his job was to destroy ner'zhul which was kinda good i think.

He only had to do that because it was Kil'Jaeden's order. He couldn't care less about the Scourge otherwise.

goris wrote:and he defeated Tichondrius (whoever) because he wanted to save the nelves and show them that he's not that bad.

He only did that because he's in love with Tyrande, and he wanted to gain the powers of the Skull of Gul'Dan.
[size=0]He also wanted to get in Tyrande's pants.[/size]

goris wrote:and he saved Tyrande from a certain death.

See the above.

goris wrote:he really wasn't that bad in WC3

I still disagree. :wink:

/l、
(゚、 。 7
 l、 ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
Lihonessa

Postby goris » Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:07 pm

Lihonessa wrote:
goris wrote:He was allied with BC but his job was to destroy ner'zhul which was kinda good i think.

He only had to do that because it was Kil'Jaeden's order. He couldn't care less about the Scourge otherwise.

LIE

Lihonessa wrote:
goris wrote:and he defeated Tichondrius (whoever) because he wanted to save the nelves and show them that he's not that bad.

He only did that because he's in love with Tyrande, and he wanted to gain the powers of the Skull of Gul'Dan.

LIE

[size=0]He also wanted to get in Tyrande's pants.[/size]

Lihonessa wrote:
goris wrote:and he saved Tyrande from a certain death.

See the above.

Half a LIE

Lihonessa wrote:
goris wrote:he really wasn't that bad in WC3

I still disagree. :wink:

well that's your opinion. i would be really surprised if you changed it only because of my post:)
goris

Postby Lihonessa » Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:05 am

Those aren't lies, mate, but the truth. It's all written in Wowwiki, and it's even playable in Warcraft 3.
You don't know your facts. :wink:

/l、
(゚、 。 7
 l、 ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
Lihonessa

Postby Lanthroviel » Sat Nov 15, 2008 2:35 am

Liho is true , soz goris :P.
And he could be killed, what's sad is that now we don't have anythings more from people like maiev or akama.Okay, illidan is dead, now come on northrend and fight big assh*les :lol:

As for me I don't care for kael thas, but I really do care for the next "magtheridon like" boss.It's nothing less than (SPOILER:)MALYGOS.
An aspect!Killing this stuff is supposed to crush the world , or stuff like that!Apparently he is the aspect of magic, so if we kill him, no more magic and warrior are the rulers of azeroth?Why him?:/
It really seem blizz like to crush the lores only to allow us to fight dragons.The sad point is, going like that, I don't think we'll see a warcraft 4 someday, I really don't^^.
Web... Web has changed....
Lanthroviel

Postby goris » Sat Nov 15, 2008 3:18 am

noooooooooooooooo, i just won't believe you. I like Illidan
goris

Postby kozom1234 » Sat Nov 15, 2008 8:52 am

yes, but he'll still impale you if you go within 35 yards of him.

btw goris sounds like boris, and the name boris smells, does that mean you smell? discuss.
If i use my mouse to turn how do I click Lifebloom?

kozom1234

Postby Bobson » Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:18 am

Lanthroviel wrote:Liho is true , soz goris :P.
And he could be killed, what's sad is that now we don't have anythings more from people like maiev or akama.Okay, illidan is dead, now come on northrend and fight big assh*les :lol:

As for me I don't care for kael thas, but I really do care for the next "magtheridon like" boss.It's nothing less than (SPOILER:)MALYGOS.
An aspect!Killing this stuff is supposed to crush the world , or stuff like that!Apparently he is the aspect of magic, so if we kill him, no more magic and warrior are the rulers of azeroth?Why him?:/
It really seem blizz like to crush the lores only to allow us to fight dragons.
The sad point is, going like that, I don't think we'll see a warcraft 4 someday, I really don't^^.

That ain't true, killing him won't destroy magic, just remove the guardian of magic ... which means that all mages and stuff can go berzerk and ninja g-bank (err?) ... I mean, go berzerk and make weird nuclear magic and raise Malygos with necromancy and summon a cake and all klinds of things that make Malygos go berzerk and try to kill magic users ...

yay me! :D
Bobson is my name
and WoW is my game!
I can play a mage of frost
but also one of flame!
My warrior's rage I can easily tame!
30 pics per second
that is my frame,
and I pwn all the noobs who thinks I am lame!
Bobson

Postby kozom1234 » Sat Nov 15, 2008 2:42 pm

*charges up a-bomb behind bobson*

:twisted:
If i use my mouse to turn how do I click Lifebloom?

kozom1234

Postby WilHiteWarrior » Sat Nov 15, 2008 7:47 pm

Yeah I must agree, Illidan was KINDA bad, but not really bad... he felt more like an anti-hero than a villain to me on WC3.
I kinda liked Illidan, but man I hated Maiev's guts. If she is supposed to be the good one and Illidan the bad then...... ugh.
I was just lookin at it and I suddenly got this irresitible urge to get inside... No... not just an urge. More than that. It was my destiny to be here! IN THE BOX!!
WilHiteWarrior

Next

Return to Lore