The Basic Tanking Guide

Discuss anything relating to World of Warcraft

The Basic Tanking Guide

Postby Narlock » Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:03 am

I've been a dps mage for a while now, and i have come across many newb tanks. So to learn the basics read my new guide.

The Tanking Guide

So first off welcome to the tanking guide for world of warcraft. This guide will teach how to tank, showing what to do, how to do it and what makes it happen. So lets get down to buisness:

Aggro

Aggro is most important thing in tanking. "What is Aggro?" Aggro is what makes monsters (or Mobs) chose their targets. If a player has Aggro on a Mob, that mob will attack the player, its a tank's job to hold all the aggro and keep the other members of the team out of harm's way.
So for the tank to do this he needs to gain aggro, there are many ways to do this:
1. "Pulling" the Target

The tank pulls the target, or to put it simpler they are the first to attack the targeted mob. This gains the full aggro of the mob toward the tank.

2. Spells and Abilities

All tanks have ways to gain aggro by using spells. First is the basic attack spell. If your fighting one monster then its easy to keep the aggro by simply hitting it and casting spells.
Should a tank be facing more than one mob (say 3) it is more difficult to keep aggro of all targets. One way to do this is by using AOE (Area Of Effect) spells. Every tanking class has at least one, Death Knights use Death and Decay, Paladins use Concecration and Warriors use Thunder Clap (more details about these classes and tanking in Advanced Guides).
Should the tank lose aggro on a target (simpler: the monster stops attack the tank and turns it's aggro on another party member) they can quickly gain aggro by using a threat attraction spell. Warriors: Taunt Death Knights: Dark Command Paladins: Righteous Defense.

3. Aggro Resetting

When a mob turns to another member of the group, the member can use a special ability to reset their aggro, or basically spells that make the players invicible for a short time. This resets their aggro and the mob turns to the next person who has more aggro.

Got aggro sorted? Good next we can get onto Stats

Stats

Stats are the second most important thing in tanking. Tankers mostly need: Defense, Stamina, Armour Value. These are the 3 basic stats for the tanks. A Tank with lots of Stamina (basicly health) can survive longer in fights without being healed.
Armour Value needs to be very high, the higher the better, it lowers how much damage you take from hits lasting even longer, the best way to get it up is by using shields (if able to)
Defense, if high enough the tank can avoid Stuns and such from the mob.
As well as the basic 3 stats tanks need: Critical Strike, Strength, Dodge.
Critical Strike makes it more often for the tank to make a critical hit (the highest i have seen ingame was 10018 from a level 80 DK)
Strength gives more damage when your next melee hit is.
Dodge, as you can guess, give you a chance to dodge things more oftenly.

With Stats sorted down to what gear you need (I'm showing the basic as each class needs different types of gear)

Gear

Gear is the thing that makes a tank a tank. With gear the tank would be naked. Lets get down to the first thing: WEAPONS.

A Tank can use any weapon, as long as it can benifit him and the team. Although if you are using shields the only choice you can have is 1 Handed (1H) weapons. Some tanks (Death Knights) can use Dual Wield or 2 Handed (2H) weapons to tank.

Armour is what beefs the tank ready for an attack, its what weakens the hit down to near nothing.
A Tank should be wearing plate armour, as it gives more armour value. What a tank needs to look for in Armour is its armour Vale, Stats and equip bonuses. Should a tank think he is not good enough, he can enchant his armour with special enchantments that boost Stamina, Strength and other things that i can't be bothered going into.

Trinkets, Rings and Necklaces are extras that help the tank with things. Most trinket have a USE ability, so when you click to use it it gives a certain buff or bonus, each trinket has something different.
Ring can boost Stamina and others by a small part, but every little bit counts.
Necklaces offer bonues such as extra stamina as well as some USE abilities.

Tips and Tricks

Some basic tricks and tips to make tanking easier.

Move by using your mouse, hold down the left and right clicks and your character will move forward, and moving the mouse while holding them will make the tank move incredibly fast, saving interactive lives of your team mates.

Using addons are a FANTASTIC benefit to your skill and awareness. I suggest a Threat Meter so you know who needs to cut down on attacks. OMEN3 is the best. I've heard of Tankadin but i don't really use it but check it out.

Tactics, knowing these on bosses is great so you know what your doing.

Marking, if your the leader of the team you can mark mobs.
Skull = First to Kill (Nuke)
Cross = Second to Die
Moon = Polymorph (Sheep)
Diamond = Sap
Triangle = Entangle
Cirlce = Thrid to die

These are the signs i use in game.

Websites

http://www.curse.com - Here you can grab ANY addon you like
http://www.wowwiki.com - Here you can research Tactics
http://www.thottbot.com - Here you can lookup items and other things

Soon to Come:

The Basic Healers Guide
Advanced Tanking: Warrior
Advanced Tanking: Druid
Advanced Tanking: Paladin
Advanced Tanking: Death Knights

(i left out druids because i am not too sure on them i am leveling one up currently at 21)
Last edited by Narlock on Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Narlock

Postby Bunnytots » Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:07 am

Do you have a warrior? If so you should know that its not the warrior's fault that they lose aggro. Some people just don't follow the kill order set up before they group up. Also there are some players that do not know good aggro control, and I am one of those people sometimes.

Your guide doesn't even come close to how people tank well. I can see that your guide may cover some tanks, but a majority already know how to tank.

Forgot to mention the max def rating you need for 80 heroics and raids which are 535 for Heroics and 545 for Raids (or something along that line, if I'm off, its not by much.

Best way to weed out bad tanks to do gear inspections before you give them party leader, or have a buddy that likes to tank and will readily tank any heroics/raids. Or just not pug in general and find a guild that is willing to gear their members up so you can do more End Game things.

If you do have a 80 warrior or have played one close to or near End Game content, you should know, no offense, that guide sucks.
I'm here to shit post and chew bubble gum, and I'm all out of gu,/
Bunnytots

Postby à» Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:14 am

Ouch. >_<

I dunno, I think it's pretty well-written. :)
ÃÂ

Postby Bunnytots » Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:22 am

Well I should have said "Tank". Some guides cannot cover what you get with just actually doing it. I am not a tank, nor do I enjoy some people with their stupidity that gets tanks killed.
Bunnytots

Postby Kodykahn » Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:17 pm

This covers what classes? I don't see anything about druid tanking in here, if a druid looking to tank was to ready this, they'd probably get confused :roll:

Druid tanking isn't like other tanking, due to the fact, they DON'T need to stack defense and such like other tanks, They get a nifty little Talent, called Survival of the Fittest, which reduces their chance, at 3/3, to be crit by 6%, increases all their stats by 6%, and increases their armor bonus from Items by 66% in bear and dire bear forms.

Druid tanking, also only has two forms of minigation, While warriors and Paladins, get armor, block, parry and dodge, and Death Knights get Armor, Parry, and Dodge, Druids' only Minigation is Dodge and their armor.

Druids's mains stats to stack for tanking would probably be, as I've been doing and it's doing pretty well, Stam, agil, and AP

Stam: To increase your health obviously, BUT, don't over stack this to the point you have like 45k hp, and only 20% dodge, you will STILL die alot faster then if you had say 35k hp and 40% dodge.

Agility: Agility is used to increase armor by a little, it also increases the bear forms attack power, which gives them more Threat building, and it also increases their critical chance, Criticals give bear forms extra rage if you specced correctly, I don't remember the Exact talent that it is, but it's pretty dumb to not grab it if your tanking.

AP: Ap, is well, attack power, you get this from your staves, maces, polearms, whatever your weilding now, Due to the new patch, this increases your agro keeping abilities, and is very good.

The best Glyphs I have for my Druid when tanking would be..

GLyph of growl
Glyph of Frenzied regen
Glyph of Maul
Glyph of Challenging roar

Growl: Increases the chance of your growl working by 8%, Handy to grab runners going after dps or healers

Frenzied Regen: Increases healing recived while under the effects of frenzied regen, basically, keeps you alive longer and easier while frenzied regen is active.

Maul: your maul now hits one additional target: Very useful for when tanking two mobs, you can lacerate/mangle one target, and maul hitting both or more targets, or switch between swipes and mauls to get more then two mob's attention.

Challenging Roar: Reduces the Cooldown of your Challenging Roar by 30 Seconds, Basically, just makes your, "Oh shoot" button cool down faster. ^-^

That's about it for stats and Glyphs, Specc is kinda ancy, there are a few diffrent specs you can choose from, and you'll probably have to look up which one is best for you depending on what your tanking, weather it be instances, or maybe bear pvp, which is very fun.

I personally find a O/60/11 build good for my PvE tanking, which is only going into the resto tree for the Fenvor, Naturalist, and Omen of Clarity, then shooting down the line of feral getting all the more bear type speccs, such as survival insticts, Survival of the fittest, thick fur, protector of the pack, ect

EDIT: Oh ya, I forgot about Expertise! You should cap this ( which I am told is 27 or 28 for PvE Purposes) as soon as possible, it will not allow your opponets to dodge or parry your attacks, missing sucks as well, but expertise over hit because it gets rid of two things instead of just one :X

EDIT 2: Also, Glyph of Thorns is nice, so you have a 1 hour thorns buff instead of having to refresh it every 10 mins ^-^
Last edited by Kodykahn on Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kodykahn

Postby Bunnytots » Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:41 pm

Also, unless your a druid tank, I really don't think you need AP that much. I mean, there are some skills that go off of AP, but if a fury warrior with 5/5 commanding presence, paladin with greater kings, or other classes with AP buffs, tanks do not need to go all out on AP like some of the melee dps classes have to.
Bunnytots

Postby Narlock » Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:48 pm

ouch people! First stop, loom up at the title "The BASIC tanking guide" i doing tanking guides for druids, warriors, paladins and Death Knights. So calm down with questions and attacks at this its just a basic guide not advanced
Narlock

Postby Kodykahn » Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:36 pm

I wasn't attacking you, I was merely showing where your Guide left out druids :?

So, I filled in the blank spot :roll:
A wise man once said, to never underestimate the potential of human stupidity. :)
Myah~ ;3
Kodykahn

Postby à» Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:40 pm

So...can anyone post a COMPLETE tanking guide? I think you did a good job, but yeah, you left out druids...although he did a good job of filling that in.
ÃÂ

Postby Lanthroviel » Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:27 am

there

have fun! :P
Web... Web has changed....
Lanthroviel

Postby à» Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:31 am

Thanks! :)
ÃÂ

Postby Bunnytots » Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:42 am

I still say you should try being a tanking spec, and then trying tanking out yourself.

And its kinda insulting when you post a guide on these forums, which non plays with you. Someone may take it the wrong way and think you are calling them a "newb" tank.

And wtf
Code: Select all
And that’s it, using this guide you should make out to be a fantastic tanking character.

That guide covers what you should learn while lvling up.

Sorry but I dislike it when people make guides up only using guides they find on the internet instead of actually trying it out themselves.
Bunnytots

Postby Mcsham » Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:17 am

This is okay for a BASIC tanking guide, but it feels so incomplete that I would not suggest it to anyone. Your idea of getting a shield should be stupidly obvious if you are one of the two tanking classes that can actually use them. And mouse turning just comes from experience.

You left out any mentioning of avoidance stats, which Kodykahn goes into. However, he left out chance to be missed, which every tank has. This is increased by talents and defense.

For Bunnytots: You are correct about the defense skill for heroics (535), but the defense skill for raids is 540, which is 689 defense rating. There is a difference between rating and skill. 4.92 defense rating gives you 1 defense skill. However, there is no such thing as a max defense skill. Going beyond 540 defense is still good, because it still increases your chances to dodge, parry (warrior, pally, DK), block (warrior, pally), and to be missed. And for death knights, it increases the effectiveness of your Icebound Fortitude.
AP is also good for death knight tanks as well. Since all of our threat is based off of how much damage we can dish out, we need AP. Granted, we get pretty much all of ours from strength, but AP on weapons is just as good for us as it is for druids (Black Ice, you will be mine!).

For KodyKahn: Depending on the type of tank you are, hit can better than expertise. For frost death knights, they have Icy Touch, Howling Blast which are spell based, and Frost Strike and Rune Strike which already cannot be dodged or parried.

I think that i order for a tank to do well, it also requires the dps to know what to expect of their tank. You can go AoE crazy right off the bat with a pally or death knight (unholy or frost only). With a warrior, bear, or blood dk, you better focus fire until at least the first mob is dead.

And of course, the best way to learn how to tank is to practice, be critical of yourself, and learn from your mistakes.
Mcsham

Postby Bunnytots » Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:08 am

I never got too deep into def rating reqs. I rolled Fury because there are some really horrible players out there (80 rogue 20 def to chest, 300 dps) and I always hate how it is always Tank/Heals fault that dps gets aggro. Some people just need to watch their dps and not go too overboard such as attack early with their most uber attack.
Bunnytots

Postby Kodykahn » Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:06 am

My guide was for Druid tanking, to fill in the spot where he left out druids, since druids do not, use sheilds, stack defense, or any of that stuff, we hardly even stack dodge anymore, it got nerfed a bit, most of our dodge comes from agility stacking, Though, having dodge isn't a BAD thing, it's just not what we mainly do anymore :roll:

I was never trying to imply my guide was good for anything other then Druid tanking, because I've never played a Tankadin, warrior tank, and I only just started playing my first death knight, who's unholy dps specc... Sooo... ya, druids only for that guide..
A wise man once said, to never underestimate the potential of human stupidity. :)
Myah~ ;3
Kodykahn

Next

Return to WoW