A sociological study on WoW

Discuss anything relating to World of Warcraft

A sociological study on WoW

Postby KarlMarxman » Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:24 pm

Hey, I've been doing this study/survey on WoW players, trying to figure out if there is a corellation between types of players and being open about playing the game. Right now I'm just gathering data, and I'd really enjoy it if anyone would answer this survey.
Thanks for answering!

For reasons of objectivity and equality, I'll ask you to put your age and gender, so I can then try to drop some replies in case there are too many from that gender & age group. Thank you for your co-operation.

Categories:

Category 1:
Players who enjoy griefing others, causing all sorts of annoyances to others, ganking, kill stealing, node stealing, ninja'ing, and any other mischief they can come up with.

Category 2:
Players who enjoy helping others, wether they are on their side or the opposing one.

Category 3:
Players who play the game in large ammounts, in some cases, putting the game in front of "real life", such as going to work/school, or spending time with friends or significant others. Often the most advanced players in the game. Called hardcore players.

Category 4:
The average player, who plays regularly, but in reasonable ammounts, at a slower pace than the hardcore players, but still faster than the casual players. Tend to enjoy the content of the game the most, having the time to do so because of their leisurly playing pace.

Category 5:
Players who play the game rarely and slowly, and putting anything in "real life" before the game. Play slower than the average gamer. Called casual players.

Category 6:
Players who enjoy playing the game with others and interacting with other palyers in a positive manner.

Category 7:
Players who enjoy playing the game alone, often trying to stay away from other players and ignoring the attempts of other players to socialize with them.

Question 1
Which player category, or categories, are you?

Question 2
How open about you hobby are you?

Question 3
Do you percieve these categories as flawed or lacking? If so, explain which category/categories you think are wrong, or are lacking detail, or give a category/categories that you think are lacking. Well constructed criticism will be taken into account.

Thanks again!
KarlMarxman

Postby Bunnytots » Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:38 am

I talk openly about the game and say I play it openly because quite frankly, it's a game that's supposed to be fun and I really don't give a damn if people call everyone who plays it fags.
I'm here to shit post and chew bubble gum, and I'm all out of gu,/
Bunnytots

Re: A sociological study on WoW

Postby kozom1234 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:31 pm

hey! I'll be glad to help out!

16, male.

Question 1

Category 2:
Players who enjoy helping others, wether they are on their side or the opposing one.

Category 4:
The average player, who plays regularly, but in reasonable ammounts, at a slower pace than the hardcore players, but still faster than the casual players. Tend to enjoy the content of the game the most, having the time to do so because of their leisurly playing pace.

Category 6:
Players who enjoy playing the game with others and interacting with other players in a positive manner.

Question 2

not very, I've told two or three friends but like to keep it mostly quiet; however, should someone i know and like tell me they play i will say i do too.

Question 3
Do you percieve these categories as flawed or lacking? If so, explain which category/categories you think are wrong, or are lacking detail, or give a category/categories that you think are lacking. Well constructed criticism will be taken into account.

Nope, they seem okay to me (a few spelling errors though :P)

Thanks again!

Welcome!

P.S. if it helps with your study, the class i play is a druid 8)
If i use my mouse to turn how do I click Lifebloom?

kozom1234

Postby Issib » Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:39 pm

16, male

Question 1
Categories 2, 3, 4, 7
Question 2
I usually only tell people who I think aren't going to bug me about it.
Question 3
Other than the odd spelling error, everything seems to be in order.

gl with your study :D

Issib

Postby Chatrata » Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:48 pm

17, male

Question 1
Categories 2, 4 and 6

Question 2
I'm not particularly open, since I got beaten up once (a long, long time ago) for playing runescape, but the people I do tell tell other people. Then I usually lie, and say I haven't played it for a while.

Question 3
I think you have every player group in WoW covered :).
Chatrata

Location: Trying to work out if it's the Red Bull or the Avenging Wrath that gives me wings.

Postby cookiemanyay » Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:19 pm

24 Male
Question 1:
Category 2
and
Category 6
Question 2:
?What my hobbies are?Cooking,fishing,writing,drawing,jogging,reading.
If I'm open about my hobby?Well i don't go around saying i play WoW but i have no problem admitting it to people.
An Hero
cookiemanyay

Postby judgement14 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:11 pm

Q1
a mix between 3&4
and 2 and 7

Q2
if someone asks if i play then ill say i do
but if someone asks what my hobby is ill just say play video games

Q3
I really didnt see any problem

15 male

DON'T JUDGE ME!!!
judgement14

Postby à» Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:50 pm

13, Male.

Question #1: Category number two.

Question #2: I don't really admit it, I'm still in middle school so I'd probably get the shit beat out of me if I broadcasted it.

Question #3:No, I think you got most, if not all of them! :)
ÃÂ

Postby cookiemanyay » Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:12 pm

Don't be too sure DD I went to a middle school about 2 months ago for a charity event and I saw some weird stuff.I saw maybe 8 kids with game shirts on the best was a kid who had a screen shot of his character(A NE hunter who would've guessed?) steamed onto his shirt.
An Hero
cookiemanyay

Postby judgement14 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:17 pm

shhh dont ruin my dream of him getting beat up

DON'T JUDGE ME!!!
judgement14

Postby Bright_eyes » Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:09 am

17, female

categories: 2, 4

I have a few friends that know, I've also gotten a couple of friends into the game, but I haven't told to many people. shit being beat out of you FTL

I don't think there are any flaws in the categories.
Bright_eyes

Postby Ichibi » Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:30 pm

Question 1: Category 7, Category 4

Question 2: People from my school know..

Question 3: I don't see any flaws :)

15, female
Last edited by Ichibi on Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ichibi

Postby Corilithon » Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:45 pm

Male, 18

Category 4, 6

Relatively open, my friends are all gamers (Magic: The Gathering or D&D) so they couldn't care less, and when I was still in school I was pretty much too big to pick on. =D

Mm, I think you should include something about inter-faction interaction, as in: Are you the type of player who will KOS a member of the opposing faction? ect.

But besides that they look fine.
Corilithon

Postby Lanthroviel » Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:02 am

19 male.

1)2,4,6 (especially 4 :p)

2)What get me into the game was old friend who was speaking of it, and me,as a warcraft fan, unable to understand them.Now I still speak with some geeky friends about it.I don't speak about it in my family though, they know I played it, but noone played an MMO or warcraft 3, and I don't need to "pull" them in, so at least I don't scare them with technical stuff.

3)Basically your question one is "are you a social player?(yes/no)" but I don't see any way to improve it.
You should add some questions though, for exemple "how open about your hobby are you?" is a question that seems to study the player,while it's rather about the environment of the player.If the player family/friends are geek, play on computer, or at least understand him, it can tend him to talk about it.But if the friends "get the shit beat out of him" or if the parents think that you'll walk naked in the street thinking you're a NE rogue stealthed if he talks about it, it's NORMAL if he shut up^^.

edit: oh and yeah, an interfaction question, I TRY to leave the ennemy or help him, while I quest, but with my 72 druid,, a faction Co-op happened to me only TWICE.I avoid that by playing in a normal server with my other char though.
Web... Web has changed....
Lanthroviel

Re: A sociological study on WoW

Postby Belse » Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:50 am

KarlMarxman wrote:Hey, I've been doing this study/survey on WoW players, trying to figure out if there is a corellation between types of players and being open about playing the game. Right now I'm just gathering data, and I'd really enjoy it if anyone would answer this survey.
Thanks for answering!

For reasons of objectivity and equality, I'll ask you to put your age and gender, so I can then try to drop some replies in case there are too many from that gender & age group. Thank you for your co-operation.

Categories:

Category 1:
Players who enjoy griefing others, causing all sorts of annoyances to others, ganking, kill stealing, node stealing, ninja'ing, and any other mischief they can come up with.

Category 2:

Category 3:
Players who play the game in large ammounts, in some cases, putting the game in front of "real life", such as going to work/school, or spending time with friends or significant others. Often the most advanced players in the game. Called hardcore players.

Category 4:

Category 5:
Players who play the game rarely and slowly, and putting anything in "real life" before the game. Play slower than the average gamer. Called casual players.

Category 6:
Players who enjoy playing the game with others and interacting with other palyers in a positive manner.

Category 7:
Players who enjoy playing the game alone, often trying to stay away from other players and ignoring the attempts of other players to socialize with them.

Question 1

Question 2

Question 3

Thanks again!

14 year old male
1. I think I would be a casual, I play almost every day but for a short amount of time. And I'm also a mix between 1 and 2, I do some ganking sometimes (you have to take the chances you get on a PvE realm) but I'm mostly helpful. The same is true about 6 and 7, sometimes I prefer playing with others while other times I want to play alone.

So to sum it up 5, mix between 1 and 2 and a mix between 6 and 7.

2. I'm pretty open about it but it's not like I'm running naked through the streets screaming that I'm playing WoW but if someone asks I tell them I do.
In the end all must serve the one... true... KING!
Belse

Location: Somewhere at the border between Sweden and Norway in your car, watching your TV

Next

Return to WoW