tips to avoid playing the dreaded "huntard"

Discuss anything relating to World of Warcraft

tips to avoid playing the dreaded "huntard"

Postby celticfrosty » Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:56 am

Hi folks - long time listener, first time caller.

i'm fairly new to WOW, have been playing for about a year, fairly casually, and basically just stuck to my human rogue, currently a 73 in Dragonblight. This past weekend i started a BE hunter just to gain a new perspective, have a bit of fun, etc. I was wondering if anyone can share secrets on how 'not' to play a hunter. And yes, i know that a common opinion of hunters is that they can become boring to play past 20...luckily i'm only 14 at the moment and am having a blast. WAY easier to level with this guy than my rogue. am using a bat pet and neither one of us seems to take any damage, ever. maybe i'm just having a good run...
My, you're a TALL one!
celticfrosty

Postby Chatrata » Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:28 am

I almost criticized you for saying BE there, but then I realised you meant blood elf XP.

1. I'm not to sure about bats, but I've always used a cat. in BC, it was only ever good to use a Cat, bear, boar or scorpid. Well, that's all I saw anyway.

Now, we get devilsaurs and corehounds.

I haven't tested either of these, but I can say that they are probably both quite good, since it is the BM 51 pointer

Gorrilas/Loque'Nahak are good now.

Good luck on getting the latter though. He's damnably rare XP.

2. Stick with it at 20. I find all classes get boring there, so you need to push through and get the awesomeness that comes when you hit 30 (FEIGN DEATH)

C. Get somebody else to confirm this. The huntard flag has been flown more than once for me.
Chatrata

Location: Trying to work out if it's the Red Bull or the Avenging Wrath that gives me wings.

Postby celticfrosty » Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:45 am

what else would BE mean?

i'm not woried about the pets so much, i plan on trying them all to find something i like to play. the mistbat works for now, but i'll be stabling it soon to try out some others.

i guess more than anything i'm looking for the definition of 'huntard', or what gets players labelled this, so i know what kind of actions to (try to) avoid.

thanks for the encouragement tho! i can't imagine getting bored of this character, like i said, it's so much easier to level than with my rogue, so that right there is reason to stick with it.
My, you're a TALL one!
celticfrosty

Postby Bunnytots » Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:03 am

Don't FD in the middle of casters.
Please for the love of god do not yell that you are tank unless you happen to be drunk.
Do not attempt to tank.

Right now those are the ones I can think of that recent hunters have pulled off.
I am using a spider currently, called ChicagoTed (if you know where thats from I will give you a cookie) and I do fine.
Ofcourse ask Krom, he will know the details about huntershiped
I'm here to shit post and chew bubble gum, and I'm all out of gu,/
Bunnytots

Postby Belse » Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:56 am

Bunnytots wrote:Don't FD in the middle of casters.
Please for the love of god do not yell that you are tank unless you happen to be drunk.
Do not attempt to tank.

BUT THEY WEAR MAIL!
In the end all must serve the one... true... KING!
Belse

Location: Somewhere at the border between Sweden and Norway in your car, watching your TV

Postby Chatrata » Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:48 pm

celticfrosty wrote:what else would BE mean?

i'm not woried about the pets so much, i plan on trying them all to find something i like to play. the mistbat works for now, but i'll be stabling it soon to try out some others.

i guess more than anything i'm looking for the definition of 'huntard', or what gets players labelled this, so i know what kind of actions to (try to) avoid.

thanks for the encouragement tho! i can't imagine getting bored of this character, like i said, it's so much easier to level than with my rogue, so that right there is reason to stick with it.

I was too tired and thought you were trying to say it's spec, which would be BM

one last thing,

FFS YOU DO NOT NEED SPELL POWER.
Chatrata

Location: Trying to work out if it's the Red Bull or the Avenging Wrath that gives me wings.

Postby Thatguy » Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:30 pm

Stay ranged, don't need on items with strenght, spirit, spellpower, spelleverything , in fact, 'cept maybe mp5, try to get some decent hit rating when you get higher, try to type with at least half-decent grammar, do not ever use aspect of the pack in battlegrounds, learn to control your pet, try to always keep some food/arrows, try to keep your pet happy, don't try to pull and hope your pet will tank it all.

That's about all I can think of.
Thatguy

Postby kozom1234 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:36 pm

Ask Krom in his Q&A he's a hunter.
If i use my mouse to turn how do I click Lifebloom?

kozom1234

Postby Shadostriker » Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:55 am

BM is pretty neat for leveling, got me pretty far at a decent pace (for how often I play) but I couldn't seem to stop having mana issues... Until I got Aspect of the Viper. (at lvl 64 I think) People have told me things about other specs doing more damage in raiding and such (though I am yet to experience that content) but I'm just too attached to my Devilsaur. :? I have too much fun making it hard for the tank to see anything by using Bestial Wrath. :D

If you are having trouble with pet happiness (no Hunter should have to buy food these days) then you can get the glyph of Mend Pet.

Mastering pet control before 80 is a wonderful idea. Macros can help with that. (Can't tell you how many times pet has died to AoEs and the like in heroics due to my neglect to use Mend Pet over another Steady Shot)

The fun abilities all come at later than thirty, so stick with it. :D

Wait till 3.1 so you can not have to buy ammo! :mrgreen:
Shadostriker

Postby Bunnytots » Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:32 am

I think you get Viper lower than 64, because I think I saw it on my hunter and she's 20 atm.
Bunnytots

Postby Chatrata » Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:28 am

It certainly was level 64 when I got it.

It has however changed to 20.
Chatrata

Postby Krom » Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:42 am

Feel free to ask specific questions.

If you ever ask about any sort of shot rotation macro I will fucking ban you. Instantly.
Krom

Postby Bunnytots » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:27 am

My Track Beasts only show me.

And Krom, what type of pet is good to level up with? Atm I have a spider.
Bunnytots

Postby Chatrata » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:48 am

I personally prefer ferocity pets, since if you level BM like I did from 70+, you won't pull it anyways. I haven't really tried a tenacity pet (I've had the same pet since level 10), but they may be good for soloing as well, since they are a tanking tree.

I'm afraid I have no idea on the last tree, I don't even remember what it's called XP
Chatrata

Postby Bunnytots » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:49 am

I am a BM Orc hunter.
Bunnytots

Next

Return to WoW