The 3.1 Talent (and glyph) Build Thread

Discuss anything relating to World of Warcraft

The 3.1 Talent (and glyph) Build Thread

Postby The Great JT » Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:06 pm

So MMO-Champion has a Talent and Glyph Calculator. Use it and figure out what you want to do when your talents get reset in the 3.1 patch.

Paladin
Retribution PvE

Priest
Shadow PvE

Now do eet.

The Punchmaster. Do Not Question Him.
The Great JT

Re: The 3.1 Talent (and glyph) Build Thread

Postby judgement14 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:59 am

Ret DPS

i had pretty much the same thing as your link

DON'T JUDGE ME!!!
judgement14

Postby cookiemanyay » Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:07 pm

There's a dif between Ret PVE and PvP?I mean i guess don't get Eye for an eye for pve but that's all i can think of.
An Hero
cookiemanyay

Postby The Great JT » Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:39 am

Talent calculator just got updated, so make some new ones up.

Retribution Paladin PvE
Not a whole lot changed from the previous build's build. If anything it was just a changing of glyphs. Eye for an Eye, Vindication and Divine Purpose are very much PvP talents and should be avoided. Severely. Since the point of being a Retribution Paladin is damage and not tanking, Eye for an Eye is quickly rendered irrelevant because the point of being a damage-dealer is NOT to get hit. Every boss and their grandpa is immune to Vindication and Divine Purpose again makes the point of being a damage-doler underlined. On a personal level I really liked using Pursuit of Justice, but since no bosses (or mobs, anymore) use Disarm effects and weapon chains already drop the Disarm effects, further making the effect irrelevant. In the off-talents, Divinity will help out because you'll most likely be using Seal of Blood/the Martyr when DPSing in raids except against certain bosses (lookin' at you, Loatheb) in which Command should be used (which is why I spec'd for it), Divine Strength is obvious a talent you put 5 points in, Toughness is really a placeholder because none of the other talents are worth getting as a DPSer, and Improved Devotion Aura is really more for amplified healing than anything else. The one glyph I'm still leery about is Consecration, since you don't have to cast it as often and will save some mana because of it. I would also reccomend glyphing Hammer of Wrath, since it completely removes the mana cost.

Shadow Priest PvE
Not a lot has changed from my other Priest builds either. Psychic Horror is still useful in PvE for those overzealous DPSers (me), and of course any mana regeneration you get through talents is sockets and enchantments you won't have to blow getting MP5. One could argue Improved Mind Blast would be a better thing to spec for, but you can only get the Replenishment from Vampiric Touch when you use Mind Blast, so it's better to not spec for it and let Replenishment tick down and restore mana than have it. Pain and Suffering may also raise some eyebrows, since you may think "why would I want that, it won't do SW:P's damage!" Well you very wrong person, You should only be using Mind Flay once per rotation then using Mind Sear or reapplying DOTs, so it just saves you mana on recasting SW:P. I only wish it worked with Vampiric Touch too. Vampiric Embrace is being increased to five minutes so you should be casting that less often too. Improved VE is too much of a threat-spiker, so don't get that. Over in the off-talents, Twin Disciplines will increase the damage of Mind Flay, Mind Sear, Shadow Word: Pain and Shadow Word: Death, Improved Inner Fire should be taken because IF now grants some Spell Power, raids will love you for Improved Power Word: Fortitude, Meditation is always good because it's a mana-restoring talent based on Spirit, a vital stat for priests, and Inner Focus will help you out with an occasional freebie damage spell with a 25% chance to spike that should always be spent on Mind Blasts. In closing, don't be afraid to use Shadow Word: Death every so often. Yes, the return damage is bad, but throw on Power Word: Shield to mitigate it and you should be fine between that, the fact you're not going to be hit as often in a group setting as you would during solo play, and the fact that heals are going to be flying around like baseballs at Wrigley Field. Glyphing Fade is essentially a "but I might need it later" move since between damage and some healing you're going to be getting aggro faster than other damagers (mages, rogues, hunters, etc.), so using Fade should mitigate that and glyphing it for a reduced mana cost means it's not as big a deal as it would be.

Blood Death Knight PvE
The changes to Blood, Unholy and Frost Aura can be seen as either good or completely irrelevant with Blood being the "irrelevant" take on it. As usual, Blood looks a lot like a DPS tree, no matter how much Blizzard says "all DKs can tank." Really I think they changed Blood Aura into Improved Blood Presence like that just so they could make Blood tank. But I digress. Originally I wanted to put 5 points into Toughness (Frost T1) to fuel Bladed Armor (Blood T2) but having a ghoul pet isn't a bad thing. Rune Tap is one of those things you want to glyph to give the healers a hand every now and then such as against Loatheb. I also would have liked to have picked up Annihilation (Frost T3) so Obliterate can be worked into the rotation more often than just a spike damage dealer near the end of disease durations, but again I just put the points into ghoul pet and Blood-Caked Blade for the spike in DPS and, well, the commandable ghoul that lasts perpetually. Pestilence can also get worked into the rotations more often now with the Glyph of Disease refreshing your diseases on your main target.

Arcane Mage PvE
One could argue that putting the points that were put into Fire would do just as well in Frost, but I prefer this build to amplify other spells that you get in Arcane. As usual, PoM-AP-Pyroblasts are still great (and Pyroblast makes a great opener in any fight, even more so now that Netherwind Presence is around increasing your Haste) and throwing Focus Magic on a healer or another caster helps you and him. If anything, my only gripe is with the minor glyphs for mages, in that the only one they get that's halfway useful is Slow Fall. Honestly, Mana Gem needs to be a Minor, Frost and Fire Ward need to be rolled into a single glyph, and Mage Armor needs to be a Minor.

Elemental Shaman PvE
If I've said it once, I've said it a thousand times: Blizzard has a horrible, horrible habit of putting talents that affect shaman spells in Enhancement and ones that affect melee attacks in Elemental. Reverberation gets passed over for more useful talents, plus with Flame Shock on you want as much time as you can give for it to tick down and do its damage while you throw Lava Bursts and pick off at enemies' health in direct damage. Glyphing Flame Shock keeps you from blowing off Flame Shock to do direct damage, essentially turning Conflagrate into Incinerate. The reason I glyphed Water Shield so heavily is to turn it into a legitmate MP5 ability so you won't be so reliant on Mana Spring Totem or gear, enchantments and gems. Letting Flame Shock burn off (no pun intended) will proc Lava Flows, (from what I can tell) so that should increase DPS in a regular build. Blizzard also seems to have a terrible habit of bringing in Earthbind Totem, trying to make it a legitimate PvE totem, but let's face facts, it's a PvP totem and trying to amplify it with the root from Storm, Earth and Fire (Elemental T7) is not going to make it useful to PvE.

"Pyro-Lock" Destruction Warlock PvE
I use the term "Pyro-Lock" literally because it's heavily built around Fire damage while throwing around a few Shadow Bolts or Shadowfuries. Shadowburn is still a legitimate finisher, and Conflagrate, when glyphed, becomes a great heavy-damage instant-cast spell. Backdraft I had to blow off because early tiers of Destruction have very few good two-point talents. And then the off-talents. At least 7 points have to be put into Affliction for Suppression (reduces need for +Hit gear/enchantments/gems), Improved Curse of Agony (mostly placeholder, some DPS increase, though wether or not Curse of Doom is stronger is questionable since CoA ticks every 3 seconds for 24 seconds and has to be reapplied after that 3 times before CoD does its huge damage every 1 minute) and Improved Drain Soul (mostly for the threat reduction, though the mana restoration when it's channeled when something dies is good too). The Demonology off-talent points are based more around personal survival with points going into Improved Healthstone (the raid likes its lock candy), Demonic Embrace (more stamina = you live longer for when the tank suffers a lag spike) and Fel Vitality (again, more health, but more mana is always good too).

The Great JT

Postby The Great JT » Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:40 am

Talent calculator just got updated, so make some new ones up.

Retribution Paladin PvE
Not a whole lot changed from the previous build's build. If anything it was just a changing of glyphs. Eye for an Eye, Vindication and Divine Purpose are very much PvP talents and should be avoided. Severely. Since the point of being a Retribution Paladin is damage and not tanking, Eye for an Eye is quickly rendered irrelevant because the point of being a damage-dealer is NOT to get hit. Every boss and their grandpa is immune to Vindication and Divine Purpose again makes the point of being a damage-doler underlined. On a personal level I really liked using Pursuit of Justice, but since no bosses (or mobs, anymore) use Disarm effects and weapon chains already drop the Disarm effects, further making the effect irrelevant. In the off-talents, Divinity will help out because you'll most likely be using Seal of Blood/the Martyr when DPSing in raids except against certain bosses (lookin' at you, Loatheb) in which Command should be used (which is why I spec'd for it), Divine Strength is obvious a talent you put 5 points in, Toughness is really a placeholder because none of the other talents are worth getting as a DPSer, and Improved Devotion Aura is really more for amplified healing than anything else. The one glyph I'm still leery about is Consecration, since you don't have to cast it as often and will save some mana because of it. I would also reccomend glyphing Hammer of Wrath, since it completely removes the mana cost.

Shadow Priest PvE
Not a lot has changed from my other Priest builds either. Psychic Horror is still useful in PvE for those overzealous DPSers (me), and of course any mana regeneration you get through talents is sockets and enchantments you won't have to blow getting MP5. One could argue Improved Mind Blast would be a better thing to spec for, but you can only get the Replenishment from Vampiric Touch when you use Mind Blast, so it's better to not spec for it and let Replenishment tick down and restore mana than have it. Pain and Suffering may also raise some eyebrows, since you may think "why would I want that, it won't do SW:P's damage!" Well you very wrong person, You should only be using Mind Flay once per rotation then using Mind Sear or reapplying DOTs, so it just saves you mana on recasting SW:P. I only wish it worked with Vampiric Touch too. Vampiric Embrace is being increased to five minutes so you should be casting that less often too. Improved VE is too much of a threat-spiker, so don't get that. Over in the off-talents, Twin Disciplines will increase the damage of Mind Flay, Mind Sear, Shadow Word: Pain and Shadow Word: Death, Improved Inner Fire should be taken because IF now grants some Spell Power, raids will love you for Improved Power Word: Fortitude, Meditation is always good because it's a mana-restoring talent based on Spirit, a vital stat for priests, and Inner Focus will help you out with an occasional freebie damage spell with a 25% chance to spike that should always be spent on Mind Blasts. In closing, don't be afraid to use Shadow Word: Death every so often. Yes, the return damage is bad, but throw on Power Word: Shield to mitigate it and you should be fine between that, the fact you're not going to be hit as often in a group setting as you would during solo play, and the fact that heals are going to be flying around like baseballs at Wrigley Field. Glyphing Fade is essentially a "but I might need it later" move since between damage and some healing you're going to be getting aggro faster than other damagers (mages, rogues, hunters, etc.), so using Fade should mitigate that and glyphing it for a reduced mana cost means it's not as big a deal as it would be.

Blood Death Knight PvE
The changes to Blood, Unholy and Frost Aura can be seen as either good or completely irrelevant with Blood being the "irrelevant" take on it. As usual, Blood looks a lot like a DPS tree, no matter how much Blizzard says "all DKs can tank." Really I think they changed Blood Aura into Improved Blood Presence like that just so they could make Blood tank. But I digress. Originally I wanted to put 5 points into Toughness (Frost T1) to fuel Bladed Armor (Blood T2) but having a ghoul pet isn't a bad thing. Rune Tap is one of those things you want to glyph to give the healers a hand every now and then such as against Loatheb. I also would have liked to have picked up Annihilation (Frost T3) so Obliterate can be worked into the rotation more often than just a spike damage dealer near the end of disease durations, but again I just put the points into ghoul pet and Blood-Caked Blade for the spike in DPS and, well, the commandable ghoul that lasts perpetually. Pestilence can also get worked into the rotations more often now with the Glyph of Disease refreshing your diseases on your main target.

Arcane Mage PvE
One could argue that putting the points that were put into Fire would do just as well in Frost, but I prefer this build to amplify other spells that you get in Arcane. As usual, PoM-AP-Pyroblasts are still great (and Pyroblast makes a great opener in any fight, even more so now that Netherwind Presence is around increasing your Haste) and throwing Focus Magic on a healer or another caster helps you and him. If anything, my only gripe is with the minor glyphs for mages, in that the only one they get that's halfway useful is Slow Fall. Honestly, Mana Gem needs to be a Minor, Frost and Fire Ward need to be rolled into a single glyph, and Mage Armor needs to be a Minor.

Elemental Shaman PvE
If I've said it once, I've said it a thousand times: Blizzard has a horrible, horrible habit of putting talents that affect shaman spells in Enhancement and ones that affect melee attacks in Elemental. Reverberation gets passed over for more useful talents, plus with Flame Shock on you want as much time as you can give for it to tick down and do its damage while you throw Lava Bursts and pick off at enemies' health in direct damage. Glyphing Flame Shock keeps you from blowing off Flame Shock to do direct damage, essentially turning Conflagrate into Incinerate. The reason I glyphed Water Shield so heavily is to turn it into a legitmate MP5 ability so you won't be so reliant on Mana Spring Totem or gear, enchantments and gems. Letting Flame Shock burn off (no pun intended) will proc Lava Flows, (from what I can tell) so that should increase DPS in a regular build. Blizzard also seems to have a terrible habit of bringing in Earthbind Totem, trying to make it a legitimate PvE totem, but let's face facts, it's a PvP totem and trying to amplify it with the root from Storm, Earth and Fire (Elemental T7) is not going to make it useful to PvE.

"Pyro-Lock" Destruction Warlock PvE
I use the term "Pyro-Lock" literally because it's heavily built around Fire damage while throwing around a few Shadow Bolts or Shadowfuries. Shadowburn is still a legitimate finisher, and Conflagrate, when glyphed, becomes a great heavy-damage instant-cast spell. Backdraft I had to blow off because early tiers of Destruction have very few good two-point talents. And then the off-talents. At least 7 points have to be put into Affliction for Suppression (reduces need for +Hit gear/enchantments/gems), Improved Curse of Agony (mostly placeholder, some DPS increase, though wether or not Curse of Doom is stronger is questionable since CoA ticks every 3 seconds for 24 seconds and has to be reapplied after that 3 times before CoD does its huge damage every 1 minute) and Improved Drain Soul (mostly for the threat reduction, though the mana restoration when it's channeled when something dies is good too). The Demonology off-talent points are based more around personal survival with points going into Improved Healthstone (the raid likes its lock candy), Demonic Embrace (more stamina = you live longer for when the tank suffers a lag spike) and Fel Vitality (again, more health, but more mana is always good too).

The Great JT

Postby judgement14 » Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:56 am

it appears that you have double posted

and your pally spec is pretty much what id do

DON'T JUDGE ME!!!
judgement14

Postby The Great JT » Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:08 pm

Damn it, sorry about the double post. Can someone (lookin' at you, Krom, Narya or Cass) delete one of the posts please?

The Great JT

Postby Tankorr » Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:47 pm

So... why wouldn't you pick up Hysteria????????

Glyph of the Ghoul and Glyph of Obliterate are better choices. Don't ever pick up Glyph of Rune Tap for PvE DPS. Moreover, with that build, using Obliterate will consume diseases, making Glyph of Disease worthless.

You will probably never use Death Strike in a PvE setting, but considering how light the Blood Tree is... whatever - not a big deal.
Last edited by Tankorr on Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tankorr

Postby judgement14 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:03 pm

the new seal of blood glyph
Yay or nay?

DON'T JUDGE ME!!!
judgement14

Postby kozom1234 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:30 pm

Balance Pure PvE

Restoration PvE and PvP

i always make the best specs (for me anyways) 8)
If i use my mouse to turn how do I click Lifebloom?

kozom1234

Postby judgement14 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:49 pm

do you even have Wotlk?

DON'T JUDGE ME!!!
judgement14

Postby Narlock » Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:18 am

This is my mage build, i find it very good for high dps.

http://thottbot.com/mage/t#/ea3t,jLcL1/yDVM

Its your best Frostfire spec yet, there are 2 extra talent points that you are free to add to anywhere, i went with Blast Wave and Dragon's Breath. But feel free to add them to wherever you'd like.

For the glyphs you'll want to use the 3 major glyphs:

Glyph of Frostfire
To increase the damage and critical strike rating on Frostfirebolt

Glyph of Molten Armour
To increase your critital strike rating higher when Molten armour is in effect.

Gylph of Improved Scorch
So you can make a stack of 5 improved scorch's in just 2 casts.

The minor glyphs suck for mages so add whatever you want to them.

The spell rotation i use is the following:

I cast Scorch 2 times to add a stack of 5 using the glyph's effect
I then pop Living Bomb
Then continue to cast Frostfire bolt, once the effect "Hot Streak" comes up i cast Pyroblast, Hot Streak is activated automacticly once you critial hit a mob twice in a row it will activate and make Pyroblast an Instant cast.
Continue spamming frostfire bolt and i re-fresh Scorch one it has reached 10 seconds within fading. I also pop Living Bomb once that as faded.
Should living bomb fade and you gain hot streak at the same time i cast Pyroblast and then pop living bomb.

The stats you'll want to focus on are Hit Rating, Spell Power and Critical Strike rating.
For minimum Naxx raiding your spell power should be about 1350. Adding enchants with help this as well as trinkets and rings.
The crit rating minimum is about 28% on one, hover over your critical strike rating in the character window and check your fire damage crit.
The hit rating minimum is 240, there are no enchants that i know of that can increase hit rating, but there are gems then will add to it. The hit rating cap for this build is 368.

I hope this small talk will help you mages out there
Narlock

Postby The Great JT » Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:36 am

'Nother build, more talent builds.

Death Knight Blood DPS 52/0/19
Not a lot has changed from the previous build, but Hysteria has been thrown in at the expense of Morbidity (something I'm going to miss in the next patch). The Glyphs also changed a little, throwing in the Death Strike glyph instead of Rune Tap.

Mage Arcane/Fire DPS 55/16/0
Still looking fairly similar to the previous build, almost point-for-point. The Molten Armor glyph is for the increased critical strike rating, and nothing else. I still favor Mage Armor for its mana regeneration, but seeing Arcane Meditation/Pyromaniac get buffed the way they did, I think this can become a worthwhile substitute for it.

Paladin Retribution Soloing/DPS 7/7/57
Christ paladin talents outside of Retribution suck. I was stuck at 6 points remaining more than half the time I spent on this build, trying to figure out how I could make this work. Then I decided that throwing in a few personal survival talents (70% healing spell pushback reduction, 30% fear/disorient reduction, et cetera) might have some use in PvE. Or at least make solo play (dailies, rep grinding, farming) less of a pain in the ass. The Consecration glyph goes bye-bye because of Judgements of the Wise and the new Seal of Blood glyph effect, and the Hammer of Wrath glyph removes the mana cost, making you that much more of a threat against bosses with low health.

EDIT: Damn it, accidentally hit "Submit".

Priest Shadow DPS 14/0/57
Nothing has changed from the previous build. Seriously.

Shaman Elemental DPS 55/16/0
Even less has changed here. I think maybe one glyph changed but that's it.

Pyro Warlock Destruction DPS
More fire-based goodness. Same mentality of the previous build now with more fire-spell mentality. Aftermath is thrown in, as is Backdraft. Other than that, not much to sing about in changes.

The Great JT

Postby kozom1234 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:55 am

judgement14 wrote:do you even have Wotlk?

no, but my friend who does have it uses it (i gave it to him) :wink:

(just to clarify, i hit 70 and had fun but then i was forced to quite wow [due to my 79 average *GASP*] and then expected wotlk after getting a 83.5 average, but no. So i set up everything [addons and all] for my return which won't come.)
If i use my mouse to turn how do I click Lifebloom?

kozom1234

Postby judgement14 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:13 am

The Great JT wrote:

Paladin Retribution Soloing/DPS 7/7/57
Christ paladin talents outside of Retribution suck. I was stuck at 6 points remaining more than half the time I spent on this build, trying to figure out how I could make this work. Then I decided that throwing in a few personal survival talents (70% healing spell pushback reduction, 30% fear/disorient reduction, et cetera) might have some use in PvE. Or at least make solo play (dailies, rep grinding, farming) less of a pain in the ass. The Consecration glyph goes bye-bye because of Judgements of the Wise and the new Seal of Blood glyph effect, and the Hammer of Wrath glyph removes the mana cost, making you that much more of a threat against bosses with low health.

EDIT: Damn it, accidentally hit "Submit".

wait why did you remove the glyph of judgement tho?
also for farming i think vindication comes into play

DON'T JUDGE ME!!!
judgement14

Next

Return to WoW