The 3.1 Talent (and glyph) Build Thread

Discuss anything relating to World of Warcraft

Postby The Great JT » Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:26 pm

judgement14 wrote:wait why did you remove the glyph of judgement tho?
also for farming i think vindication comes into play

In this order:

-Because keeping mana is more important than a little bit of DPS.
-The build is for solo play and for raid DPS. And as I have said before, it's USELESS for DPSing. At least Hand of Freedom can remove snares, which a few bosses use (can't remember any at the second).

The Punchmaster. Do Not Question Him.
The Great JT

Postby judgement14 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:50 pm

The Great JT wrote:
judgement14 wrote:wait why did you remove the glyph of judgement tho?
also for farming i think vindication comes into play

In this order:

-Because keeping mana is more important than a little bit of DPS.
-The build is for solo play and for raid DPS. And as I have said before, it's USELESS for DPSing. At least Hand of Freedom can remove snares, which a few bosses use (can't remember any at the second).

its not a little bit of dps tho

its a 10% increase of our main damaging attack

DON'T JUDGE ME!!!
judgement14

Postby Thatguy » Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:09 pm

I'll probably go something like

13/58/0 for healing

and

14/0/56+1 for dps
>8< spider power!
Thatguy

Re: The 3.1 Talent (and glyph) Build Thread

Postby Thatguy » Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:13 pm

One could argue Improved Mind Blast would be a better thing to spec for, but you can only get the Replenishment from Vampiric Touch when you use Mind Blast, so it's better to not spec for it and let Replenishment tick down and restore mana than have it.

MB is your hardest hitting spell, and you should be casting it every time you can, it's a pretty stupid move to not get 5/5 imp. MB

Pain and Suffering may also raise some eyebrows, since you may think "why would I want that, it won't do SW:P's damage!" Well you very wrong person, You should only be using Mind Flay once per rotation then using Mind Sear or reapplying DOTs, so it just saves you mana on recasting SW:P.

And you forget a very important point, if you use your trinkets at the beginning of the fight, your SW:P will be with increased damage for the whole fight, which can mean a lot more damage on long bosses.

Improved VE is too much of a threat-spiker, so don't get that.

Tanks have it much easier with threat now, so you shouldn't have to worry with that. In fact, you shouldn't even have to bother to take Shadow Affinity. While I agree imp. VE is not the best talent out there, it can be quite nice for Sapphiron. With it, I can stay in my normal gear and not ever need heals.

, and Inner Focus will help you out with an occasional freebie damage spell with a 25% chance to spike that should always be spent on Mind Blasts.

Or on SW:P, considering it can now crit, and that you can keep that 25% +crit for the whole fight?

In closing, don't be afraid to use Shadow Word: Death every so often. Yes, the return damage is bad, but throw on Power Word: Shield to mitigate it and you should be fine between that, the fact you're not going to be hit as often in a group setting as you would during solo play, and the fact that heals are going to be flying around like baseballs at Wrigley Field.

No, actually be afraid of using SW:D, it's bad, a waste of a GCD, or even worse, of 2 GCD if you do PW:S yourself with it.

Glyphing Fade is essentially a "but I might need it later" move since between damage and some healing you're going to be getting aggro faster than other damagers (mages, rogues, hunters, etc.), so using Fade should mitigate that and glyphing it for a reduced mana cost means it's not as big a deal as it would be.

As I said earlier, tanks have it way easier on aggro.

I thought it'd be a no-brainer that the 3 major glyphs would be SW:P, shadow and MF.
>8< spider power!
Thatguy

Postby Gombol » Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:15 am

Im going prot and arms PVE (Ya! I said ARMS PVE) Never liked fury, might make a talent tree later.
Gombol

Postby Bunnytots » Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:32 pm

Fury will be taking a hit with the whole 10% TG nerf.
I'll be arms soon, just finding a build that suits me.
I'm here to shit post and chew bubble gum, and I'm all out of gu,/
Bunnytots

Postby The Great JT » Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:38 pm

'Nother build day, so let's get to it. You may notice this one's gonna be shorter than the others, probably because there were no changed (yet?) on MMO-Champion for Priests and Warlocks. I might make (did make) a Warrior build for myself later, 'cause I still try to roll a warrior sometimes.

Death Knight Blood DPS
Just as soon as I think Blood can get perpetual ghouls, Blizzard yanks it away like a yo-yo. That said, I won't be missing Morbidity, since it's coming with me to patch 3.1, along with Necrosis and Blood-Caked Blade. Glyphs are perfectly identical to the previous build's.

Arms Warrior DPS/Solo
Contrary to popular belief, I don't hate warrior talents. In fact, quite the opposite in Protection. I do, however, hate how they have UTTERLY HORRIBLE talents in the early tiers of the Arms tree. There's no reason Trauma couldn't be a 3-point talent or Anger Management couldn't be a 2-pointer that generates 2 points of Rage per second like the Death Knight equivalent, Butchery (Blood T1). Maybe they could make an amplification of Improved Rend that could be a 3-pointer, maybe make it while Rend is active, you gain attack power equal to 50/100/150% of Rend's periodic damage. That'd be cool.

The Great JT

Postby Thatguy » Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:11 pm

'Nother build day, so let's get to it. You may notice this one's gonna be shorter than the others, probably because there were no changed (yet?) on MMO-Champion for Priests and Warlocks. I might make (did make) a Warrior build for myself later, 'cause I still try to roll a warrior sometimes.

pfft, could still try to answer to my answers, huh?
>8< spider power!
Thatguy

Postby The Great JT » Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:34 pm

Thatguy wrote:

pfft, could still try to answer to my answers, huh?

If it'll shut you up and get you off my mentality, fine.

Thatguy wrote:MB is your hardest hitting spell, and you should be casting it every time you can, it's a pretty stupid move to not get 5/5 imp. MB

Yes, but it's not your only damaging spell, plus you have DOTs to keep up with.
And you forget a very important point, if you use your trinkets at the beginning of the fight, your SW:P will be with increased damage for the whole fight, which can mean a lot more damage on long bosses.

Hm, didn't think it worked like that.
Tanks have it much easier with threat now, so you shouldn't have to worry with that. In fact, you shouldn't even have to bother to take Shadow Affinity. While I agree imp. VE is not the best talent out there, it can be quite nice for Sapphiron. With it, I can stay in my normal gear and not ever need heals.

Still, it spikes threat unnessecarily. There are going to be times when the tank can't get back agro (when Sapphiron is in the air, the throws during Stalaag/Feugen in phase one of the Thaddius encounter) so you don't want to be second on the threat list.
Or on SW:P, considering it can now crit, and that you can keep that 25% +crit for the whole fight?

Again, I wasn't sure it worked like that. Long as Blizzard doesn't patch it so that it doesn't work with SW:P, yeah, do it.
No, actually be afraid of using SW:D, it's bad, a waste of a GCD, or even worse, of 2 GCD if you do PW:S yourself with it.

I mean at the end of fights. People are squeamish about blowing GCDs on SW:D, but with heals flying all over the place it's a good damage spell. I'd only reccomend using it when the boss is down to 10%, maybe, but still don't be a pussy and neglect it.
As I said earlier, tanks have it way easier on aggro.

I thought it'd be a no-brainer that the 3 major glyphs would be SW:P, shadow and MF.

Fading is a minor glyph. Of course any Shadow Priest with any sembelence of brain activity glyphs Shadow Word: Pain, Mind Flay and Shadowform.

The Great JT

Postby Thatguy » Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:26 pm

The Great JT wrote:If it'll shut you up and get you off my mentality, fine.

Nope, won't get me to stfu, I rarely ever get the opportunity to argue on priest stuff with another priest, so I won't miss my chance. :P

Yes, but it's not your only damaging spell, plus you have DOTs to keep up with.

That way of thinking would work if shadowpriest actually used a rotation, but since it's more of a priority system, it's flawed. Though back when we worked with a rotation it would work, and we'd have to take 1/5 or 4/5 imp. MB.

But now, MB should be the spell you cast as soon as it's ready, no matter what were you doing. So, lower cooldown for MB = less time spent casting MF = more DPS. Keeping up with DoTs isn't really complicated, since most of them last for a while.

Still, it spikes threat unnessecarily. There are going to be times when the tank can't get back agro (when Sapphiron is in the air, the throws during Stalaag/Feugen in phase one of the Thaddius encounter) so you don't want to be second on the threat list.

I've never ever aggroed anything, even in undergeared PuGs, with or without that talent. Plus, if the tank knows what he's doing, there shouldn't be any problems, but I agree with you, it's not the best talent.

I mean at the end of fights. People are squeamish about blowing GCDs on SW:D, but with heals flying all over the place it's a good damage spell. I'd only reccomend using it when the boss is down to 10%, maybe, but still don't be a pussy and neglect it.

You actually do more damage if you're casting MF, so it wouldn't be useful. Though it can be pretty handy since it's instant-cast and you can throw it during fights like Heigan for a little more dps. Or cast it at the start of fights since it instantly builds 2 Shadow Weaving debuffs iirc.

Fading is a minor glyph. Of course any Shadow Priest with any sembelence of brain activity glyphs Shadow Word: Pain, Mind Flay and Shadowform.

Oh, if it's a minor glyph, then no problem. I thought it was a major glyph.

Talking of minor glyphs, don't forget to get your glyph of levitate. Flying is so fun :D
>8< spider power!
Thatguy

Postby Renkonel » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:17 am

you gotta respect an arms warrior tryin to make it in a duel weilding world.

Renkonel

Postby Bunnytots » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:23 am

I just don't like arms, I made a Troll Warrior for Fury not this arms or prot bullshit. On a side note:

WEEEEEEEEEE JUST NEED A SWORD, 2 RINGS, AND A TRINKET FOR FULL PROT SET!!!
I'm here to shit post and chew bubble gum, and I'm all out of gu,/
Bunnytots

Postby Renkonel » Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:08 am

ya because dual weilding 2 handers doesn't make arms underpowered in any way, shape, or form :roll: .

Renkonel

Postby Chatrata » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:00 am

Arms can totally use Titans grip :roll:

EDIT: and I totally misread the post...
Chatrata

Location: Trying to work out if it's the Red Bull or the Avenging Wrath that gives me wings.

Postby Gombol » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:58 pm

Renkonel wrote:ya because dual weilding 2 handers doesn't make arms underpowered in any way, shape, or form :roll: .

Chatrata wrote:Arms can totally use Titans grip :roll:

EDIT: and I totally misread the post...

Was arms in Malygos 10, did 200 less DPS then our best fury warrior, so...either im doing somthing extremly right, or our best sucks.
Gombol

PreviousNext

Return to WoW