Forums or experience?

Discuss anything relating to World of Warcraft

Forums or experience?

Postby Trania » Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:08 am

While levelling my warlock (who just hit level 42), I came across a level 80 who had a warlock main. He told me I had the wrong spec, and I replied that I was toying with my spec, trying to find out which one suited me best.

Personally, I think the best way to get to know your class is to level, try out different specs, see what works best and when you figured that out, ask others their opinion.
However, it is a lot easier to just rush to any wow-forum online, see which spec is 'best' for your class and copy it to your own toon.

So the question is: Do you toy around with your spec or do you copy it from a forum / other player?

As a Mage classleader, I have experienced a player that was allowed as a casual into the guild because he had some friends here. He levelled up a mage (his first toon, he was new to the game) and wanted to raid.
He copied my frostfire raiding spec (after 70 levels in which I assisted him in choosing the right levelling skills), but didn't do much damage. Two days after I changed to arcane, he asked me why 'all the mages' were arcane and told me he also went arcane. When I asked him how he got his spec, he told me he figured it out himself. Yeah right. Exactly my spec? Which wasn't the 'best' arcane spec, but an experimental one?
This guy now does decent damage, but he still doens't know the do's and don't of his class. After raiding for a couple of weeks, I had to answer questions such as: "What is a table?" (after being asked to put down a table in the raid). While I do a steady 4000 dps in a 25-man, he sticks around 2500.
Copycats aren't always 'bad' players, but I still wish more people would try for themselves instead of just copying from other people.
Trania

Postby Lyianne » Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:27 am

For leveling, people should always stick to the "ow, this looks good" talent build, this way players learn there classes much better than copy-ing one from forums.

Of course once raiding, a player should generally read the forums to see which spec gains which benefits.

For my mage/warrior and shaman i've always gone with a 'i'll try it out' spec, generally being quite close to the raiding specs but always having a few talents that are 'only for questing/leveling'
Lyianne

Postby Judai » Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:32 am

For most lvling builds I go cookie cutter(wowhead forums), and for raiding, I look at cookie cutter builds and change it to my personal preference, unless I like wat it is.

Ones that u should copy exactly are usually PvP, tanking and lvling builds

Where as DPS u can vary, becuase classes like: Hunters, Mages, Druids and Warlocks where your pretty much pure DPS, its up to you, and people who tell you how to play should STFU, considering many are like "I HAZ TEH BESTEST BUILD AND I WAZ CARRIED!! WHY DO I SUCK @ TEH DPS METERZZZ?!?"

So just reply and be like yeap, kk and im trying something different.

Personally I would lvl a Lock as Mostly Afflic, with some demonology to abuse Sacrafice (Voidwalker skill).

And i.e. Noobs are stupid, I had one trying to tell me that BM was the Best dps spec for hunters and warriors should DW in Arms... :lol:
Judai

Postby The Great JT » Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:08 am

I toy with mine on Wowhead's talent calculator.

The Punchmaster. Do Not Question Him.
The Great JT

Postby Judai » Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:45 am

The Great JT wrote:I toy with mine on Wowhead's talent calculator.

Qft
Judai

Postby liamthelad » Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:14 am

I use a mixture.I generally choose a build which is said to have good dps ,chechk out hunters union and ensidia and see theirs.I'll tweak it to my desire seeing as some things seem useless and etc.And i'll also spend a painful amount of money of the dummy respeccing constantly.
liamthelad

Postby judgement14 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:19 am

i wouldnt really know

ret honestly doesnt have much variation

but i have a some-what differing spec from the specs ive seen online

DON'T JUDGE ME!!!
judgement14

Postby Vaiir » Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:34 am

I, too, have a mage, and it's my main, so I spend a lot of time on it and thinking about how to do certain things. I prided myself on not being cookie-cutter, I loved being mildly competitive in the Naxx25 pugs I did. After dual-specs came in, I was able to make two specific specs: one for raiding, one for instance grinding, where before I have to make a spec that wasn't optimal for either. After spending maybe 300-400g on just the raiding spec, I decided, just for giggles, to see how the unoriginal, cookie-cutter specs measured up... The findings left me feeling kind of empty. It turned out I only had a few talents off from the cookie-cutter 57/3/11 Arcane spec, and again, having been so proud of how well I was doing in my very own spec, it hurt to see that it wasn't far off from the cookie-cutter at all.

My own Arcane raiding spec.

Pretty much, the only thing that differs is that I have full points in Prismatic Cloak, this is because I find a few situations where I need to drop aggro from adds or the boss, the two points in Student of the mind would only give me 18 MP5, and Slow is never used in raids (if so, not enough that it's worth keeping, unless you can give me a good example of how it can be used effectively), I find.

The only thing I can say is maybe the mage the OP talked about honestly DID think they had made a good spec of their own? They may not know their class as well as I know mine, let alone as much as you know your mage, but it's still possible. If they are anything like me, they'd be happy to share the exact reasoning behind every point they spend in their tree, so it may help you find out if they really DID make that spec themselves and how well they know their class... You don't need the spec the experts say you should use to prove you know your class, you know your class when you can reasonably explain the choices you make with your trees and use them well.
Vaiir

Postby kozom1234 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:16 am

I make my own, then check others for reference.

But in the end they mostly are the same, if not i make a few changes to it so it works better and keeps my playstyle or just leave it the way it is. :)
If i use my mouse to turn how do I click Lifebloom?

kozom1234

Postby wnxcow » Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:26 am

my tank spec is self made, just bu some things i wanted in it.

my dps spec on the otherhand, was taken form an experienced ulduiar raider :D

about the dps,. it doenst fully depend on talents, but also ur gear and enchants!,.

wnxcow

Postby Clone-D » Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:51 pm

When your leveling it's generally a good idea to toy with your specs. This helps you learn to play your class and realize what talent trees you enjoy and which ones you suck at.

The hardcore raiders / pvpers are the ones that need the "best spec"

The casuals can run with about any raid spec, so long as they can pull some decent damage. They don't have to be the best, but they can't suck.
Your Dieing.
Clone-D

Postby Judai » Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:10 pm

Forgot to ad, but you know when you say "Forums or Experience?", the Forums are from peoples Experience, although some are noobs, but thats where you compare and contrast.

Just throwing that out there
Judai

Postby cookiemanyay » Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:31 pm

Judai wrote:Forgot to ad, but you know when you say "Forums or Experience?", the Forums are from peoples Experience, although some are noobs, but thats where you compare and contrast.

Nobody here is really a "noob"
An Hero
cookiemanyay

Postby Judai » Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:56 pm

cookiemanyay wrote:
Judai wrote:Forgot to ad, but you know when you say "Forums or Experience?", the Forums are from peoples Experience, although some are noobs, but thats where you compare and contrast.

Nobody here is really a "noob"

I meant places like wowhead forums -.-
Judai

Postby judgement14 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:57 pm

also i sincerely doubt that noone here is a noob

DON'T JUDGE ME!!!
judgement14

Next

Return to WoW