addons - how often should they be upgraded

Discuss anything relating to World of Warcraft

addons - how often should they be upgraded

Postby celticfrosty » Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:56 am

every patch? more often than that?

also, if you could use only 3 addons, what would they be?
My, you're a TALL one!
celticfrosty

Postby Kodykahn » Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:37 am

Pereferably, you should update add-ons everytime they come out with a new verison, though it is possible to get away with every patch without problems. The more updated your addons are, while they might take a bit more space up, thus making your computer run a SLIGHT bit slower, it's better then the program screwing up, and screwing up your entire UI ^^;

As for Add-ons?

Recount is my favorite for tracking things, Damage, healing, dispells, Ect.
Healbot is my personal favorite Healing Add-on, while others like Grid, though I've never tried Grid.
The third main one I use is Deadly Boss Mods, when Updated right ,this mod lets you know when bosses, that have significant abilities in heroics, or timers on enrages, and such on Bosses in raids.

As for other off the Wall Add-ons, for Roleplayers, theirs Flagrsp
For Gatherers, there's Gatherer
There's also Atlas Loot for looking for specific items~

There's alot of helpful addons, I usually have about 3 or 4 running depending on what I'm Doing, it's kinda hard, In my personal Opinion, to narrow down 3 I'd always use, because there's many that are helpful :x

I hope I helped ^^;
A wise man once said, to never underestimate the potential of human stupidity. :)
Myah~ ;3
Kodykahn

Postby celticfrosty » Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:38 am

thanks, that does help.

i tried to use Recount, couldn't quite grasp how to read it. maybe i'll try it again, as it seems to be a popular one.

Mostly i just use Questhelper and Auctioneer...i'm not a very diehard gamer.

so how do you know whenever an addon gets updated? do you get notifications?
My, you're a TALL one!
celticfrosty

Postby Quaza » Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:39 pm

DBM and Xperl are definately on the list, and i think recount fills the last spot. I update them every patch, way easier to keep track of the versions

EDIT: Quick and handy Recount guide for celticfrosty. Push the button that looks like a piece of paper (the one WITHOUT the X over it). that allows you to chosse specific fights, i recommend keeping it set to "Current Fight" (or "Last Fight" if out of combat). To show the score, click the button that looks like a speaker. the slider bar at the top should be set to 5 (5 is a good number), and check the box you want to show the scores in (probably "Party" [heroics] or "Raid"[well, raids]). Press whatever button is at the bottom, something like Print, cant remember, and BAM it appears. The page with the X over it deletes all current saved data.
~~Quaza
Quaza

Postby The Great JT » Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:55 pm

Every two weeks or so works for me updating my addons.

The Punchmaster. Do Not Question Him.
The Great JT

Postby Bunnytots » Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:41 am

I usually update at patch time.
I'm here to shit post and chew bubble gum, and I'm all out of gu,/
Bunnytots

Postby celticfrosty » Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:50 am

cool, thanks folks, really helpful info.

i don't even think about updating addons until all of a sudden i can't see my questhelper after a patch.

here's another question - how do you get yr addons? anybody use Curse?
My, you're a TALL one!
celticfrosty

Postby Kodykahn » Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:32 am

Ya, I use curse, only thing I use, because most of their stuff is safe,and you dun have to worry about getting secondary, possibly harmful programs from downloading.
A wise man once said, to never underestimate the potential of human stupidity. :)
Myah~ ;3
Kodykahn

Postby Bunnytots » Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:42 am

Same, and I only started using curse because that was the one that came up first when I google searched "wow addons" a few years ago.
I'm here to shit post and chew bubble gum, and I'm all out of gu,/
Bunnytots

Postby celticfrosty » Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:15 pm

thanks again lads. i use Curse too, just wanted to make sure it wasn't problematic as far as everyone knew.

going back to Quaza's post, what kind of addons are DBM and Xperl? ie what do they do?

i'd do the research myself but i'm at work...
My, you're a TALL one!
celticfrosty

Postby Cass » Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:36 pm

Deadly Boss Mobs - (Borrowed from Curse)

Alpha builds from the SVN are always available on www.deadlybossmods.com.

Website: www.deadlybossmods.com! You will always find the latest version and news about Deadly Boss Mods there.

Features

•Boss mods for all raid bosses
•Colored raid warnings (players will be colored according to their class) with icons - so you will know what's going on without even reading the message
•Auto-respond during boss fights. DBM will inform anyone who whispers you during a boss fight that you are busy. These messages contain the name and health of the boss as well as the raid's status
•HealthFrame: you can enable a simple frame that shows a health bar for all active bosses. This is enabled by default for multi-mob bosses like Four Horsemen
•Bars can be enlarged with decent effects when they are about to expire
•Crash recovery: you had a disconnect or crash during a boss fight? No problem for DBM! It will request the timer and combat status information from other DBM users in your raid group and you get your timers back
•Synchronization system for accurate timers
•No dependencies, no embedded libraries (except for the optional LibDataBroker plugin that embeds LibDataBroker)
•Modular design - all boss mods are plugins and can be exchanged, removed or updated separately
•Load on demand - all boss mods are separate AddOns and they will be loaded when they are needed. So they don't use memory or cpu until you enter the corresponding instance
•Efficient code: DBM uses less than 250 kb memory and the cpu usage is also very low
•Special effects like the screen flash effect, huge warning messages and sounds will draw your attention to critical events
•Bars can change their color over time and flash before they expire
•There are many bar designs to choose from, all designs are are customizable: you can change the color, size, icon position etc.
•Support for SharedMedia, so you can use any texture for your bars
•Option to create custom timers, so-called "Pizza Timers" for your pizza or whatever you prefer to eat while raiding. You can also send those timers to your raid group
•Powerful object-oriented API - you can use it to write your own boss mods!

Additional Mods

•Burning Crusade Boss Mods
•LibDataBroker data source
•Victory Sounds
•RaidTools
Slash Commands
•/dbm - shows/hides the GUI
•/dbm timer <time> <name> - starts a local timer, the time can be in the mm:ss format
•/dbm broadcast timer <time> <name> - broadcasts a timer to the raid
•/dbm unlock - shows a movable timer bar (alias: move)
•/dbm ver - performs a raid-wide version check
•/range or /distance - shows the RangeCheck frame

[An00b'arak]: >8< spider pride
Cass

Postby Lilla » Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:39 pm

I feel stupid now. I dont, or every have, used addon >.< AND I HAVE A FRIGGIN LEVEL 80!! :P
Duuuuuuuun duuuuuuun, du-du-duuuuuun d-d-duuu..
Lilla

Postby Cass » Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:27 pm

I use very few addons. But DBM and decursive sure as hell makes my life a little bit easier when I'm healing.

[An00b'arak]: >8< spider pride
Cass

Postby kozom1234 » Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:48 am

i use:

vuhdo
cartographer
tellmewhen
quartz for buffs
xperl for target's target
scrolling combat text
deadly boss mods
omen, but i never use it since i heal.

it sounds pretty complex, but with vudo i have alot of mouse bindings so it makes life easier.

[pic to be placed here later]
If i use my mouse to turn how do I click Lifebloom?

kozom1234

Postby celticfrosty » Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:41 am

well i updated all my addons last night, plus i added DBM just to check it out. didn't have a chance to play though, had to run off to band practice as soon as i was done updating. maybe tonight i'll get to play (friday nights, a 12 pack and WOW..."the dream")
My, you're a TALL one!
celticfrosty

Next

Return to WoW