Faction Communication

Discuss anything relating to World of Warcraft

Faction Communication

Postby joemann » Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:28 am

I have always found it funny, as in ironic funny, that players cannot speak to players from the opposite faction they are, yet NPCs can.

For example, the Cenarion peeps are primarily Nights Elves and Taurens and they can speak to each other, but Night Elf players can not speak to Tauren players and vice versa.

Another example is in the cinematic right before the quest to reclaim Undercity: you have humans and orcs and undead speaking to each other. Also, on the Undercity quest you have some of the Faction leaders speaking to each other.

Anyway else find this frustratingly peculiar? I wonder if Keydar will ever do a comic making fun of this peculiarltiy?

Obviously I am in favor of Blizzard allowing cross-factional in-game speaking. It would be cool if a player could do quests to learn the other races languages in order to speak cross-factionaly.
joemann

Re: Faction Communication

Postby Raptorbane » Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:53 am

joemann wrote:I have always found it funny, as in ironic funny, that players cannot speak to players from the opposite faction they are, yet NPCs can.

For example, the Cenarion peeps are primarily Nights Elves and Taurens and they can speak to each other, but Night Elf players can not speak to Tauren players and vice versa.

Another example is in the cinematic right before the quest to reclaim Undercity: you have humans and orcs and undead speaking to each other. Also, on the Undercity quest you have some of the Faction leaders speaking to each other.

Anyway else find this frustratingly peculiar? I wonder if Keydar will ever do a comic making fun of this peculiarltiy?

Obviously I am in favor of Blizzard allowing cross-factional in-game speaking. It would be cool if a player could do quests to learn the other races languages in order to speak cross-factionaly.

Sometimes though, you can imagine what I call "bullshit lore" or "unwritten yet potentially true" things that work it out. For example, Thrall was locked up in a human encampment for a very long time, and is also friends with Jaina. It is highly possible that they taught one another their languages, or that Thrall learn Common from the encampment. Varian was also captured by orcs, and was at one point even referred to by an orcish name, Lo'gosh. It's possible that even he picked up orcish from being captured just as Thrall did (their back stories are mind-numbingly similar).

Undead were humans once, so it's maybe possible that after so long a time they remember how to speak common, or just never forget how, but the fact that they are dead and sometimes missing jaws caused them to create their own language in order to better understand one another.

IIRC, Tauren and Night Elves never really HATED one another, so when the Cenarion Circle formed between all their druids, they didn't do faction-wise things such as half the city is Night Elves and the other half is Tauren. It's also possible that they learned one another's languages while up in Moonglade because the language barrier can be kind of poopy when all you can do is point and grunt.

I would also really like cross-faction language barriers taken down, but I think it also adds something to the game by not being able to talk to your enemies. If a tauren warrior comes to beat down my rogue and I say "no stop", he can't understand me and I die. But if he could understand me, the potential of him stopping is raised.

tl;dr yes it sucks but too bad
Raptorbane

Postby Lanthroviel » Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:09 am

Yes, but I'd also imagine players starting flaming all the time, even in battlegroups, knowing that it enrages the players.I remember a long time ago, during BC time, where during a BG I learned to spell the french equivalent of S T U P I D, and a lot of player were spamming that, probably even me for a while.

As for the "no stop" idea, well, even on a PVP server, you can guess that the kind of player which attack you on sight without even seeing who attack first is the kind that won't back off even after you say "no, I won't attack you" (which you can kinda reproduce with /no, or /salute) . Same for the kind that keep ganking you, with a higher level or not. In fact the only thing you may expect from THEM is to order you to strip naked, then /bow and say how awesome they are, then they take a screenshot, and *may* leave without killing you one last time.
Do you really want that?

One of the ideas I had before was either a cross communication device (a two part item you could buy and send to another faction player to speak to him, with a high price limiting spamming random players), or a "room" in a neutral city where player of both faction could understand each other.But with the old capital taking back the torch and Dalaran emptying itself, this felt kinda flat :/.
Web... Web has changed....
Lanthroviel

Postby vergil77 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:25 am

Alliance and the Horde are at war now, but they used to trade with each other and joined together in an effort to defeat greater enemies on many occasions (Burning Legion, Ahn'qiraj, Wrathgate). I'd guess that many people of both factions learn another one's language for trade, diplomatic, or other reasons. This is probably especially true for neutral factions that recruit both Horde and Alliance members.

As for the players not being able speak with opposite faction, it's just a game mechanic to emphasize the tension between Alliance and the Horde.

Also, being able to communicate with everyone would probably result in many problems. (as pointed above)
vergil77

Postby SimLoup » Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:02 pm

The real-world explanation for the fact that undead aren't able to speak Common is simply because the developers don't want players communicating across factions. In the Beta, the undead player characters spoke Common (besides Orcish) and thus could communicate with Alliance characters. This led to a huge amount of vitriol and bile that was spewed both ways, so this functionality was removed and Gutterspeak was introduced.

Source: wowwiki
[CENTER]
[/CENTER]
SimLoup

Return to WoW