Priest advice

Discuss anything relating to World of Warcraft

Priest advice

Postby Suztang » Thu Mar 20, 2008 4:47 am

so i just started a priest, thought i try out healing. so far ive really liked it, im putting all my points in holy, which alot of people told me is gunna be a bitch to lvl but instance groups will love me :D hes lvl 13 so far and geared out with decent enchants (thks to alts)

just wondering if you guys had advice on healing and such plus i didnt see any post for priest so i made one :lol:
Last edited by Suztang on Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
3 beers im ready to tank, 6 beers im ready to raid.....8 beers, 2 shots, and a pack of cigs....im rdy to do WSG!
Suztang

Postby The Great JT » Thu Mar 20, 2008 5:53 am

I have a priest. Level 55, shadow-spec. There's one combo you're gonna have to learn for leveling solo:

Shadow Version:
Power Word: Fortitude
Vampiric Touch
Vampiric Embrace
Shadow Word: Pain
Mind Blast
Mind Flay
Mind Flay
(Reapply VT and SW:P as required, repeat from Mind Blast until they die)

Holy Version:
Power Word: Fortitude
Holy Fire
Shadow Word: Pain
Smite
(Repeat Smite until Holy Fire is done, reapply it as needed, Smite until death.)

*Do that and you should be able to kill them without taking a hit.

*Results may vary in PvP.

The Punchmaster. Do Not Question Him.
The Great JT

Postby Suztang » Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:24 am

this is what ive been doin so far....

power word: fortitude
shadow word: pain
hex of weakness
(by this point the mob has reached me)
holy word: shield
smite x5000.....or untill dead :D

*ive recently got inner fire and testin it out*
3 beers im ready to tank, 6 beers im ready to raid.....8 beers, 2 shots, and a pack of cigs....im rdy to do WSG!
Suztang

Postby Lt. Kool-Aid » Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:53 pm

The priest i have now (64) i've leveled holy the entire time... well i went disp for a level (LOVED IT, but hurt my instance healing). most of the time you will have no problems killing anything, but you will run out of mana... just make a mage friend to hook you up with some free stuff.

What i've been doing right now 59-64 i have a good friend as a shadow priest and we level together and when one needs to mana up, the other picks up the DPS

as for the instance healing i recommend putting some in Disc so you can get Silent Resolve (AMAZING) do not however waste your time with circle of healing... I've had it for so long before i realized i never use it

oh and for some reason if you get a lightwell, many a hunter will go click it at full health just to see what it does.... get used to it.... it glows and attracts stupid people (don't worry about getting one for a while... great in guild raids not so much with instances full of morons)
1 full year playing wow: about $190
snowboard: $200

Thinking about casting greater heal of yourself when you break an arm: Priceless
Lt. Kool-Aid

Postby Suztang » Thu Mar 20, 2008 5:42 pm

well went on my first instance today.....horrible!!! my mana runs dry to quickly and to make matters worse im blessed with a tank who thought that my Power Word: Shield meant he could aggro 30,000 mobs and live after about 20 min of that mess he /yell (cause nothing gets the point across better than /yell) that i was a bad healer.... :x my wife who made a hunter to lvl with my priest told him he was an idiot (may i add this was all happening in combat :? ) and then the mage left.....

about this time i snapped and Shadow Word: Pain a tightly group of mobs (4-5) /yell "NO HEAL FO YOU!!!!!!!!!!!111one!!!!!" and hearthed out....

followed by my wife telling our tank that she questions his sexual orientation and hearthed out with me :P

Moral of today: more Spirit points and find talents that reduce mana costs
Suztang

Postby Shadostriker » Thu Mar 20, 2008 5:48 pm

Umm...Howbout Spirit Tap in the Shadow line, first tier? A must for any Priest, and just about the best mana efficiancy tool for PvE (and PvP if you don't get killed! :roll: ) By lvl 14, my priest has some long runs w/o recharging. So in direct conclusion, Spirit Tap is the best for keeping mana up (as long as you get the kill in before you OOM)

..............Besides Life Tap and Dark Pact...but then again your a Priest. :P
Shadostriker

Postby Lt. Kool-Aid » Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:25 pm

in the best possible instance you only have to heal one person and that is the tank.... if you had to unload ALL of your mana in one pull there are a few reasons why:

1) Bad pull or pulled without any idea of CCing or when people are not ready

2) The said tank has piss poor gear and is getting cut to ribbons but a fluffy kitty (also tanks who do not use shield also go under this reason)

3) DPS race.... you fricken rogues always lose why do you keep trying? (this creates a problem cause the tank can't hold any agro and that means one tiny heal turns you into the triple twenty spot on a dart board.)

4) you are not at a level that can heal that instance with ease (bring loads of mana pots next time)

5) you are wasting mana with smite SWP or holy fire. until you are confident in your group/mana reserves stick with starshards and the wand.

keep your chin up... its not as easy as every noob warrior thinks it is to heal. don't let the dumbasses get you down (there will be more of them lurking in the LFG channel)
1 full year playing wow: about $190
snowboard: $200

Thinking about casting greater heal of yourself when you break an arm: Priceless
Lt. Kool-Aid

Postby The Great JT » Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:14 pm

Also, if you're a human or dwarf, you have agro on you and you're in a bind on mana, don't be afraid to use Desperate Prayer to heal yourself for free. Even if you're shadow, you can just pop out of SF, use Desperate Prayer, pop back in and continue your mana battery-ing.

The Punchmaster. Do Not Question Him.
The Great JT

Postby Suztang » Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:52 pm

lt. kool aid was right i have been wasting mana on hex of weakness and SWP but it leaves me with no choice when my tank thinks my bubble i gave him (which only absorbs damge for 10 sec if that) means he can aggro a room!

i already knew i was in a shit group but god almighty my mana was depleted after 3 heals and what then? i got 2 warriors shoutin for healz and im fending off elites with a lesser wand WTF?!?!?

itz definitly something i need to practice at, i guess my first problem would have to be to learn to prioritize the group, does everyone need a heal? most likely not if i had a good tank.
Suztang

Postby Abazoe » Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:27 am

Also, you typically don't want to PW:S a tank. Sure, that means a little less healing, but it also means less rage for the tank, which in turn means mobs peeling off to you or other dpsers, and more healing for you to do.
Abazoe

Postby felldain » Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:22 am

And don't spend Mana on Sw:p or even hex of weakness whilst your still struggling.

I'd recommend investing in some better gear for the time being, problem with low-level instancing is that your almost always with idiots. I remember back in 2005 my server was full of Mmorpg veterans, but now its full of donalds.

Oh i'd also recommend getting your woife to roll a class that can tank, my friend and i had a whale of a time instancing s we only needed to find 3 dps.
Oh and by the way i was being sarcastic!
felldain

Postby Suztang » Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:26 am

Abazoe wrote:Also, you typically don't want to PW:S a tank. Sure, that means a little less healing, but it also means less rage for the tank, which in turn means mobs peeling off to you or other dpsers, and more healing for you to do.

i didnt know that i learned something new today

and to what felldain said i got an alt that has tailoring and enchanting so im pretty fine for the time being on gear and enchants. the instance i was in was RFC (obviously) so i got cloth drops on farm status which way back when i had my warlock in RFC i found out early there were some good ones :D
Suztang

Postby lib3rator » Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:56 am

even on pally tanks the shield sucks. healing = mana.
lib3rator

Postby Suztang » Fri Mar 21, 2008 4:00 am

ok heres a question how does threat work when im using holy spells and healing spells? i remember my father-in-law (63 Pally) said that can affect the threat you generate in group if your the only one using it is this true?
Suztang

Postby Galero » Fri Mar 21, 2008 6:43 am

Yeah, if your group is in combat and you cast a healing spell, it increases the level of threat you have against all enemies your group is fighting. This can be especially dangerous if the tank has not used some form of AoE effect to at least get some level of threat against all mobs you're fighting (Thunder Clap for warrior tanks, consecration for pally tanks, etc), as one heal can frequently pull one or more mobs to you, the poor defenseless healer. One of the keys to healing safely and efficiently is to hold off on that first heal until all mobs that have been aggroed have been tagged so you can fire off your spells without immediately pulling a bunch of mobs to you, which makes more work for you and your party in trying to get them off you while you heal yourself and them.

Granted, it's not always possible to wait very long to pop that first heal (this is especially true if your tank is somewhat undergeared for the instance being run), so that's what you should save spells like PW:S (priests) and divine protection (pallys) for. In the former case, it'll at least give the tank a few extra seconds to pick up the mobs (which can save your group), and in the latter, it can send the mobs from you directly to the next highest person on their threat list.

So yeah, just keep plugging away at it, if you find people that are decent and you enjoy running with, invite them along again. Who knows, you might even find a full 5-man group that'll get together and run a bunch of instances together, which will make things easier for everyone every time.
Galero

Next

Return to WoW