Priest advice

Discuss anything relating to World of Warcraft

Postby Suztang » Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:06 am

Galero wrote:Yeah, if your group is in combat and you cast a healing spell, it increases the level of threat you have against all enemies your group is fighting. This can be especially dangerous if the tank has not used some form of AoE effect to at least get some level of threat against all mobs you're fighting (Thunder Clap for warrior tanks, consecration for pally tanks, etc), as one heal can frequently pull one or more mobs to you, the poor defenseless healer. One of the keys to healing safely and efficiently is to hold off on that first heal until all mobs that have been aggroed have been tagged so you can fire off your spells without immediately pulling a bunch of mobs to you, which makes more work for you and your party in trying to get them off you while you heal yourself and them.

Granted, it's not always possible to wait very long to pop that first heal (this is especially true if your tank is somewhat undergeared for the instance being run), so that's what you should save spells like PW:S (priests) and divine protection (pallys) for. In the former case, it'll at least give the tank a few extra seconds to pick up the mobs (which can save your group), and in the latter, it can send the mobs from you directly to the next highest person on their threat list.

So yeah, just keep plugging away at it, if you find people that are decent and you enjoy running with, invite them along again. Who knows, you might even find a full 5-man group that'll get together and run a bunch of instances together, which will make things easier for everyone every time.

well i already have the damage meter mod, i have been looking into getting the threat meter mod also for my warrior (tanking) and my warlock, with that turned on it should help alot with the threat i generate with holy spells i can keep a closer eye on it. also now that i think about it more that tank may have been undergeared because i had a hard time keeping his health above 50% :roll:
3 beers im ready to tank, 6 beers im ready to raid.....8 beers, 2 shots, and a pack of cigs....im rdy to do WSG!
Suztang

Postby Galero » Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:40 am

Suztang wrote:well i already have the damage meter mod, i have been looking into getting the threat meter mod also for my warrior (tanking) and my warlock, with that turned on it should help alot with the threat i generate with holy spells i can keep a closer eye on it. also now that i think about it more that tank may have been undergeared because i had a hard time keeping his health above 50% :roll:

Yeah, a threat meter of some sort (usually KTM or Omen, though I personally use the latter) is incredibly useful as a healer, and it sounds like you're pretty well off as it is already. If you're stuck with an undergeared tank, then they can complain about your healing all they want, it's not on your shoulders at that point. I had that problem a few times in attempting to run heroics on my holy pally, but with a good tank, your job becomes MUCH easier.
Galero

Postby Esoth » Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:15 pm

If you are just starting to play a priest, this is a pretty good blog: http://egotisticalpriest.omen-guild.net/ Dig through the older stuff that explains all of your spells and threat and whatnot.
Esoth

Postby Suztang » Sat Mar 22, 2008 2:40 pm

ok did rfc a second time. using the advice and knowledge you guys gave me it ended ten times better. me and druid healed together, then tank left cause mommy said so :lol: so driud said he would bear form and tank and i healed last half and didnt wipe once 8) way better this time!

and with all my mana focused on healing i only had to mana up 4 times the whole run :D
3 beers im ready to tank, 6 beers im ready to raid.....8 beers, 2 shots, and a pack of cigs....im rdy to do WSG!
Suztang

Postby lib3rator » Sat Mar 22, 2008 11:40 pm

i don't want to disappoint you but i've tanked rfc with a shaman and a rogue :P
lib3rator

Postby Lt. Kool-Aid » Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:38 am

lib3rator wrote:i don't want to disappoint you but i've tanked rfc with a shaman and a rogue :P

did ja want a cookie? perhaps a gold star?

anywhos good start! just keep running the instances and you will soon get a feeling for the class. just wait till mind control! you will never leave your priest again
1 full year playing wow: about $190
snowboard: $200

Thinking about casting greater heal of yourself when you break an arm: Priceless
Lt. Kool-Aid

Postby Suztang » Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:14 am

Lt. Kool-Aid wrote:
lib3rator wrote:i don't want to disappoint you but i've tanked rfc with a shaman and a rogue :P

anywhos good start! just keep running the instances and you will soon get a feeling for the class. just wait till mind control! you will never leave your priest again

ive seen people use mind control before...that sounds like a good idea for a comic......hurry to the Keydar Cave *insert batman music*
Suztang

Postby lib3rator » Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:12 pm

Lt. Kool-Aid wrote:

i want a small farm
lib3rator

Postby Suztang » Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:28 am

lib3rator wrote:
Lt. Kool-Aid wrote:

i want a small farm

i want a tank out there who can HOLD AGGRO!!!!! :evil:
im a dps warrior and i can hold aggro better then the smucks ive partied with......

that and a pony would be nice too 8)
Suztang

Postby Gombol » Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:04 am

[quote="Suztang"]i want a tank out there who can HOLD AGGRO!!!!! :evil:
im a dps warrior and i can hold aggro better then the smucks ive partied with......quote]

I r good tank with my warrior, although i DO have a little trouble on some bosses.
Gombol

Postby Suztang » Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:31 am

Gombol wrote:
Suztang wrote:i want a tank out there who can HOLD AGGRO!!!!! :evil:
im a dps warrior and i can hold aggro better then the smucks ive partied with......quote]

I r good tank with my warrior, although i DO have a little trouble on some bosses.

your hired ill meet you at WC in 10 min..... :lol:
Suztang

Postby Gombol » Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:00 am

Suztang wrote:
Gombol wrote:
Suztang wrote:i want a tank out there who can HOLD AGGRO!!!!! :evil:

your hired ill meet you at WC in 10 min..... :lol:

lol, im only tanking outlands instances now! :D
Gombol

Postby magic » Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:19 am

About Omen as healer: How does that work, really?
I guess it will flash the screen when you get aggro, so it will give you more reaction time to fade, but would not ktm work better as healer, since it reports overall aggro?

I've only used Omen for a month or so, as a dps class, but for dps Omen is really preferable to KTM, since Omen will track individual target, so it lets you know aggro on the target you are dps'ing, I've no idea what Omen does for a healer though

A second word about Circle of healing, for 5 man instances it is really not that good no, prayer of healing works better then - in raids is where Circle of healing will really start to shine though - especially if you're in charge of a melee group on an aoe intensive boss - Void reaver comes to mind, he is typically the first 25 man boss many raiders meet as well.
magic

Postby Suztang » Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:36 am

magic wrote:About Omen as healer: How does that work, really?
I guess it will flash the screen when you get aggro, so it will give you more reaction time to fade, but would not ktm work better as healer, since it reports overall aggro?

I've only used Omen for a month or so, as a dps class, but for dps Omen is really preferable to KTM, since Omen will track individual target, so it lets you know aggro on the target you are dps'ing, I've no idea what Omen does for a healer though

A second word about Circle of healing, for 5 man instances it is really not that good no, prayer of healing works better then - in raids is where Circle of healing will really start to shine though - especially if you're in charge of a melee group on an aoe intensive boss - Void reaver comes to mind, he is typically the first 25 man boss many raiders meet as well.

to be honest i got the omen threat meter and i like it better when i use it for my hunter. i might get rid of it and try out KTM.
Suztang

Postby Krom » Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:18 am

Omen and KTM are identical. The different being that Omen uses a mod called Threat, and they are both ACE mods which mean they run significantly faster than the hog that is KTM.

That being said, Omen2 is kinda buggy atm and will hopefully get fixed up by Antiarc in the next few days. Omen is also adding a bunch of new modes which are specific to healers/raid leaders/etc. Omen will also have per mob threat levels soon (already???), which means you can have different threat levels on mobs with the same name, something that wasn't possible before.

I'd strongly suggest you drop KTM and pick up Omen/Threat. I'd also suggest downloading WowACE Updater (WAU), which makes updating all of your ACE mods very very easy and quick.
Krom

PreviousNext

Return to WoW