Hurray.....Im A Noob Again!!!!

Discuss anything relating to World of Warcraft

Postby Krom » Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:40 am

Wrong.

490 defense makes you UNCRITTABLE by bosses.

To be UNCRUSHABLE you need an effective block/parry/dodge/miss percentage of 102.4% (pretty much impossible to get passively).

After 490 defense, defense still provides benefits. You gain .04% block/parry/dodge/miss for every point of defense. It also reduces the chance of you being critically hit by 0.04%. However, at 490 defense you cannot be critically hit, so that no longer provides any benefits.

Once you have 490 defense, it is equally important to focus on Armor, Dodge, Block, Expertise (up to 236 rating) and Stamina (not in that order). I personally consider Stamina to be the next most important stat, but any avoidance is also quite important when you're tanking very hard hitting mobs.

Note: This all assumes mobs that are 3 levels higher than you. You can get away with a bit less when fighting equal + 0-2 level mobs.
Krom

Postby Suztang » Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:25 am

well it was told to me by my friendly neighborhood WOWapedia that before i go to Kara. i should have....

490 Def
12000+ health
13000+ armour
12%+ block
12%+ parry
15%+ dodge

which seems reasonable im just under everything besides the armour and health. i need an opinion though. the tanking sword you get from the shattered sun (cant think of name) is it worth replaceing the pvp sword? it does less damage, and i know i dont need damage but it also gives less stamina. and when comparing the stats it almost doesnt seem worth it. to be honest im thinking of keeping the pvp sword and throwing an agility enchant on it.

NOTE: my WOWapedia is a person....so please dont ask for a link :D
Last edited by Suztang on Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
3 beers im ready to tank, 6 beers im ready to raid.....8 beers, 2 shots, and a pack of cigs....im rdy to do WSG!
Suztang

Postby Chatrata » Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:31 am

Krom wrote:Wrong.

490 defense makes you UNCRITTABLE by bosses.

To be UNCRUSHABLE you need an effective block/parry/dodge/miss percentage of 102.4% (pretty much impossible to get passively).

After 490 defense, defense still provides benefits. You gain .04% block/parry/dodge/miss for every point of defense. It also reduces the chance of you being critically hit by 0.04%. However, at 490 defense you cannot be critically hit, so that no longer provides any benefits.

Once you have 490 defense, it is equally important to focus on Armor, Dodge, Block, Expertise (up to 236 rating) and Stamina (not in that order). I personally consider Stamina to be the next most important stat, but any avoidance is also quite important when you're tanking very hard hitting mobs.

Note: This all assumes mobs that are 3 levels higher than you. You can get away with a bit less when fighting equal + 0-2 level mobs.

Why am I always wrong?
Chatrata

Location: Trying to work out if it's the Red Bull or the Avenging Wrath that gives me wings.

Postby Suztang » Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:19 am

disregard my last statement...its the Inuuro's Blade and im goin to get it for tanking. ill just switch out for when im pvping. im not worried about the stats, besides what the worst that can happen....i could die :D ......wait.....what? :?
3 beers im ready to tank, 6 beers im ready to raid.....8 beers, 2 shots, and a pack of cigs....im rdy to do WSG!
Suztang

Postby Krom » Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:40 am

I also forgot Hit in there. Hit and Expertise should be equally valued until you get to about 6-7% parry reduction through expertise. Then Hit has slightly more value, I think.
Krom

Postby Esoth » Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:39 pm

Krom wrote:Once you have 490 defense, it is equally important to focus on Armor, Dodge, Block, Expertise (up to 236 rating) and Stamina (not in that order). I personally consider Stamina to be the next most important stat, but any avoidance is also quite important when you're tanking very hard hitting mobs.

Where are you getting 236 expertise rating? If you've got .25% parry/dodge reduction from one expertise, and you need 3.9 expertise rating to get one expertise, that would mean you are assuming bosses have about 15% dodge or parry, which seems a bit high. Most of the estimates I've looked at have about 9.4% parry for bosses (6.5% dodge)... Just curious as to the source because I would like to know

One other addition to becoming uncrittable: resilience can also make up for some of this, so it is possible to have less than the defense cap for crit and still be uncrittable. Typically you only see druids doing this, because since they don't get any parry/block from defense (obviously) they are often better off just stacking dodge for avoidance.
Esoth

Postby Krom » Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:54 am

Esoth wrote:Where are you getting 236 expertise rating? If you've got .25% parry/dodge reduction from one expertise, and you need 3.9 expertise rating to get one expertise, that would mean you are assuming bosses have about 15% dodge or parry, which seems a bit high. Most of the estimates I've looked at have about 9.4% parry for bosses (6.5% dodge)... Just curious as to the source because I would like to know

One other addition to becoming uncrittable: resilience can also make up for some of this, so it is possible to have less than the defense cap for crit and still be uncrittable. Typically you only see druids doing this, because since they don't get any parry/block from defense (obviously) they are often better off just stacking dodge for avoidance.

Well, the chances of actually getting up to that level of expertise is very difficult (as a tank anyhow). If I recall correctly that is the expertise rating required for melee to be able to attack from the front and not be parried/dodged. I don't actually know how that interacts (is parry higher in the roll or dodge?). Based on the numbers you provided, 9.4% parry + 6.5% dodge = 14.9% avoidance = 15% mitigation required through expertise to not have your attacks avoided = 236 expertise.

I believe your numbers are correct for being unparry-able, but the whole point of expertise is to prevent yourself from being gibbed (causing parries) as well as increasing threat (not having your attacks be avoided). You still need hit to not have your attacks miss, on top of that, however.

So, yes, 236 rating is the cap. Really, you only need enough rating to not cause parries which is a bit easier.
Krom

Re: Hurray.....Im A Noob Again!!!!

Postby loaffy » Sat Aug 02, 2008 5:43 pm

Suztang wrote:well its my first day in outland with a warrior and it feels like i just started playin all over again! everythings new....im lost....and fel reavers scare me :cry: hopefully my brother will get home soon and help me!
you got to watch those fel reavers they like to sneak up on you like those FING DEVILSAURS. >_<

ALSO! expect to see alot of huge devilsaurs as hunter pets in the expansion.
loaffy

Postby felorn » Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:06 pm

Jurassic park style?
felorn

Postby Fenris » Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:08 am

Just made it to Outland for the first time on a level 58 rogue (60 now, almost 61). I've gotta say, from what I've seen so far I love this place. Don't know if I'm just lucky or what, but even the drop rate seems better, that and I'm seeing green drops that are almost as good if not better than some of the blues around the same level.

Fel Reavers suck :x , how does something that big and noisy manage to sneak up on me when I'm in the middle of a fight lol. Then there was the time I was in Honor Hold's courtyard, trying to figure out what I was going to do next, when a giant foot came down right next to me. Looked up saw the Fel Reaver and ran away :lol:

And the bombing run quests have to be the easiest and possibly some of the funnest quests I've done. It's like blizzard said "here have 25k experiance for free".

Just out of curiosity. Has anyone taken on the "Pit Commander"?
Fenris

Postby Gnosis » Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:53 am

Yes... some guilds tried just for fun and curiosity. Though there is no drop.

Gnosis

Postby Chatrata » Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:24 am

Gnosis wrote:Yes... some guilds tried just for fun and curiosity. Though there is no drop.

Omg, 72 elite boss thingy with no drop. wtfwtf.
Chatrata

Location: Trying to work out if it's the Red Bull or the Avenging Wrath that gives me wings.

Postby felorn » Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:33 am

I'm always pulling him to the guys defending just for fun, they usually nuke him and kill him but sometimes he wins and kills me...
felorn

Postby Suztang » Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:21 am

so we did kara for the first time and did pretty good. we called it at the Curator. and i only died once (goddamn Maiden) anywho i was told that i did pretty good for a first time in, for an offtank that is :lol:
Suztang

Postby felorn » Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:27 pm

Want a medal?
felorn

PreviousNext

Return to WoW