Req 2200 rating to read Dl comics

Discuss anything relating to World of Warcraft

Req 2200 rating to read Dl comics

Postby Dallas » Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:17 pm

so that way they mean something.

sorry for bring the whining to these forums but i would like to know everyones opinions on this whole PR on almost EVERYTHING including honor items. as stated in other posts i'm an enh shaman and even getting to 1700 is a challenge. currently i'm 2/5 s3 1/5 s2 2/5 s1 and i have 3k points saved that i was going to spend on s4. lucky for me my s1 pieces are gloves (no rating req) and pants (like 1550 or something) so i will have pretty good gear. my shoulders will still be s2 but thats ok i guess.

i dont really have anything else to say, i'm typing in between bog lord kills as i farm for primals. <3
Dallas

Re: Req 2200 rating to read Dl comics

Postby crashbang » Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:37 am

Dallas wrote:so that way they mean something.

sorry for bring the whining to these forums but i would like to know everyones opinions on this whole PR on almost EVERYTHING including honor items. as stated in other posts i'm an enh shaman and even getting to 1700 is a challenge. currently i'm 2/5 s3 1/5 s2 2/5 s1 and i have 3k points saved that i was going to spend on s4. lucky for me my s1 pieces are gloves (no rating req) and pants (like 1550 or something) so i will have pretty good gear. my shoulders will still be s2 but thats ok i guess.

i dont really have anything else to say, i'm typing in between bog lord kills as i farm for primals. <3

only S3 shoulders require rating, and if you want a non-rating weapon, roll a hunter, i got my S3 axe today, only 1000 points. and got my s2 helm/shoulders, too, the shoulders shoot lightning every 10 seconds
In order to remain peaceful you must kick the ass of the first idiot to give you a good reason...

P.S. The message above may or may not be fueled by copious amounts of sleep deprivation...I SAID GOOD DAY, SIR!
crashbang

Postby Abazoe » Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:22 am

With season 4, many additional items will include a pr rating req, including some of the "non-set" bg pieces. Tons of drama.

I'm ok with rating requirements on arena pieces -- that makes sense to me, and 1700 and below is fairly low. Weapon and shoulders still have a very high rating req, but that's not unexpected. You shouldn't be able to lose your way to a set of gear almost as good as those who win their way to it, imo.

However, honor requirements for bg pieces is inane. Plenty of people bg but don't arena; why punish them by making them do both?
Abazoe

Postby Dallas » Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:10 am

Abazoe wrote:With season 4, many additional items will include a pr rating req, including some of the "non-set" bg pieces. Tons of drama.

I'm ok with rating requirements on arena pieces -- that makes sense to me, and 1700 and below is fairly low. Weapon and shoulders still have a very high rating req, but that's not unexpected. You shouldn't be able to lose your way to a set of gear almost as good as those who win their way to it, imo.

However, honor requirements for bg pieces is inane. Plenty of people bg but don't arena; why punish them by making them do both?

i dont lose 10 games to get my ~200 points a week. i play to win but i play a gimp spec in arena so it is VERY hard to get past 1700. for a warrior all u need is a healer to et up there. for a healer all u need is a good dps. for me.. i dont know what i need.
Dallas

Postby Abazoe » Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:03 am

High end pvp is as much about min/maxing as high end pve is. That's not to say you can't succeed with a "gimp" build, but you're unlikely to top any ladders. No class is completely gimp, either. Shamans have it the hardest, no doubt, but do you know what an enh shammy does to a priest? It's bloody and painful, let me tell you.

I respec twice a week or more for pvp. I raid as shadow, arena as disc. I'm not fantastic but I'm getting better. I could pvp as shadow -- my 2s partner is a rogue, it's a decent combo -- but I know my chances of success are greater as disc.

I'm not saying you shouldn't get any reward from arena-ing, win or lose. You should. And you still are. You may have to be a mix of s3 and s4, but you get rewarded all the same.

And I'm not saying there aren't balance issues in arena right now. There are. It's fine that not every SPEC is evenly represented, but some combos are truly hard to counter. There are deeper problems than point selling and pr farming, and the arena fixes that are inc. aren't going to do much about those. Despite that, I don't think there's any class that can't, with enough skill, get a decent rating in arena.
Abazoe

Postby Dorgol » Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:18 am

I'm one of those people who do BGs but don't do Arena. Through honor I have purchased S1 chest, legs, shoulders, hands, 2 rings, 2 necks (Retribution and Holy), and the 2 min PvP trinket. I currently have 66k honor banked in anticipation of S4.

Adding rating requirements to every piece - including the honor pieces - means I'm going to HAVE to Arena to do BGs. Which is annoying, because I don't play regularly enough to have a stable team.

Oh well. Change and adapt, right? :)
Boulderfist (US), Alliance
Dorgol, 70 Warlock
Uldor, 70 Warrior
Doralen, 70 Paladin
Police, 70 Mage
Dorgol

Postby Evilducks » Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:55 pm

You are essentially buying the PvP equivalent of the best gear in the game. To get the best gear in the game PvE side it takes effort, min maxing and plugging away until you get there. People with more skill will get there faster and the lower pieces are easier to get than the major ones.

This is a change that was needed because people shouldn't be getting the best gear in the game for losing 10 matches a week, it should require some kind of effort. You can still get previous versions of gear without putting all the effort of min\maxing, team balancing, respeccing, etc. with no rating requirements.

Say what you want about PvE being easy compared to PvP, it still requires some kind of effort to get, now they've added a small amount of effort requirement to the top end PvP gear.

As for the BG reward gear, you can still get a lot of gear without doing arenas, and you can tell those pieces were always related to arena gear. They even match the sets visually. In the end, living in AV is much easier than doing arenas for gear.
________
Montana Medical Marijuana Dispensaries
Last edited by Evilducks on Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Evilducks

Postby The Great JT » Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:58 am

Oh great, now there's something else Shamans will never get.

The Punchmaster. Do Not Question Him.
The Great JT

Postby Tankorr » Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:25 am

It is not impossible for a Shaman of any spec to get high ratings enough to complete S4, but it requires a rather inflexible group composition. A Warrior/Rogue/Enh Shaman/Holy Paladin/Disc Priest combo does rather well in 5v5.
Tankorr

Postby Abazoe » Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:37 am

I would prefer enh shammies continue to think they can't arena, because that means I'll see less of them. :wink:

I know a surprisingly good shockadin/enh shammy/hunter team in 3s. Burst one dps down and the pally went back to healing. Of course, that won't work for long as shockadin is a thing of the past but it was interesting to see them succeed.
Abazoe

Postby Krom » Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:55 am

I am currently playing on a Resto Sham / Warrior / BM Hunter team and it's a lot of fun. Our strat is almost entirely arranged around locking one person down and blowing them the hell away early in the match. With Purge and Arcane shot they rarely have any protection, and frankly, a BM hunter just hits so hard you might just pee yourself when they pop everything (we tend to line up death wish, beastial wrath, trinketting and stuns to all happen at once). We played 33 games over one night last week, and went 29-4 getting to an 1860ish rating.

Kinda looking forward to playing more and getting into actual competitive teams (of our 4 losses, we played the team we lost to again 1-2 times and whipped them. We pretty much only lost due to stupidity on our part).

It's really all about finding a comp that works for you and then getting comfortable with each other. Honestly, it wouldn't hurt to ask/pay one of the top end arena players of your class on the server to mentor you. The advice you can get from top end players is invaluable and can quite often easily push you up to an 1800 rating alone.
Krom

Return to WoW