First and last name to be published with every forum post.

Discuss anything!

Is adding real names to forum posts a good idea?

Yes
13%
No
88%

Total votes : 16

First and last name to be published with every forum post.

Postby Crusader » Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:22 am

Crusader

Postby supabillyla29 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:29 am

i like the idea since you can see the real names of te people you hate :D

supabillyla29

Postby Thaurus » Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:56 am

No since my Password is close to it.
Got SC2 ^_^. Add me @ BuuGhost
Thaurus

Postby Raptorbane » Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:55 pm

supabillyla29 wrote:i like the idea since you can see the real names of te people you hate :D

And they can see yours.

Thaurus wrote:No since my Password is close to it.

That's pretty stupid from the get go and you should change it. 8|

---

No because I have a rather unique name, it wouldn't be hard to find where I lived just through Googling it and I do /NOT/ need gooks finding all of my personal information.

(Thank god I'm b& from WoW forums lol)
Raptorbane

Postby Cass » Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:44 pm

Yeah, it's crazy. That thread is already over 30k posts strong. Amazing. There is no way in hell I would want to give that info out to the community.

So long, Official Forums! It was nice knowing thee!

[An00b'arak]: >8< spider pride
Cass

Postby Raptorbane » Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:27 pm

Cass wrote:Yeah, it's crazy. That thread is already over 30k posts strong. Amazing. There is no way in hell I would want to give that info out to the community.

So long, Official Forums! It was nice knowing thee!

|D I've been banned from them for like a year and a half now anyway, haha. I can't imagine why.
Raptorbane

Postby Cass » Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:47 am

http://www.howmanyofme.com/

People in that thread are saying we're overreacting. I don't fucking think so. I'm the ONLY person with my name. I've even tried Googling and I'm it!

No thanks, Blizzard. Asshats.

[An00b'arak]: >8< spider pride
Cass

Postby AaronOfMpls » Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:17 am

I'd make it optional (default off) rather than mandatory.

Of course, I hardly ever post in the official forums anyway. (Just a few posts in the support forums.)
~ But it's got spam in it! ~

Wowpedia -- Aaron's toons
AaronOfMpls

Postby Gabtraf » Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:33 am

So much for the forums anymore if you can't have fun with them... Looks like there will be less trollin unless someone is ballsy....

I don't like that idea, why can't they have an account name at the bottom rather then the real person's name..?
Darkness Incarnate..
Gabtraf

Postby Raptorbane » Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:06 am

Gabtraf wrote:So much for the forums anymore if you can't have fun with them... Looks like there will be less trollin unless someone is ballsy....

I don't like that idea, why can't they have an account name at the bottom rather then the real person's name..?

Are you joking? Lol, There won't be less trolling unless someone's ballsy, there will be less trolling because nobody will be there. With no real community to troll, of course there will be no trolling.

But there will be no community.

This is definitely the wrong way to go in the ways of stopping trolling. The rumor going around is that Blizzard was offered a sizable sum of money from Facebook to make player's names available to the public so that they could connect their WoW accounts and their Facebooks. Just another stroke on the chart for Facebook taking over.

I have contemplated deleting my Facebook and anything having to do with it simply because I don't need people on my friends list who also happen to play WoW going around on the forums and being gooks, and then getting their entire Facebook friends list harassed about it. This does so much more harm than bad.

People have said "Well then I just won't add anyone as a friend on Facebook, it'll be fine!" Wrong. Like I said above, your friends list is viewable without even being friends with the person, so anyone on there can be harassed. Bashiok posted his full name on the forum to prove nothing harmful would come of it, and within minutes people were posting images of him, his home, his family, his family's names, ages (his mother lives with him btw), address, phone numbers, everything. It was awful, people were purchasing pizzas and Chinese under his name and sending him nasty texts for hours.

On top of all that, Canada is way against it. This has made -headlines- more than once since it's been announced. There is no way Canada will let this happen, we've already taken Facebook to court, and if I'm not mistaken they're taking Facebook to court AGAIN sometime soon over shit like this.

Tl;dr It. Is. Bad.

Edit: There is 1 person in the U.S. named [Raptorbane's Real Name Here].

;( name faker.
Raptorbane

Postby Gabtraf » Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:52 pm

Raptorbane wrote:
Gabtraf wrote:So much for the forums anymore if you can't have fun with them... Looks like there will be less trollin unless someone is ballsy....

Are you joking? Lol, There won't be less trolling unless someone's ballsy, there will be less trolling because nobody will be there. With no real community to troll, of course there will be no trolling.

You know someone will act stupid and attempt to troll people even when this ever happens but I see what you're getting at.

I was never a big fan a "bookspace", or any type of community like sites. Blizzard shouldn't follow their path of failure. Not to mention it might get worse.

Someone needs to talk sense to blizzard about this or we're screwed...
Darkness Incarnate..
Gabtraf

Postby Thaurus » Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:02 pm

Raptorbane wrote:
supabillyla29 wrote:i like the idea since you can see the real names of te people you hate :D

Thaurus wrote:No since my Password is close to it.

That's pretty stupid from the get go and you should change it. 8|

Its only for unimportant things like my mail and forum accounts =P. For games and other important things i use Difficulter passwords.

Besides, im to lazy to change it =P
Thaurus

Postby Raptorbane » Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:23 pm

Thaurus wrote:Its only for unimportant things like my mail and forum accounts =P. For games and other important things i use Difficulter passwords.

Nobody would guess your password if it was "difficulter".

Gabtraf wrote:You know someone will act stupid and attempt to troll people even when this ever happens but I see what you're getting at.

I was never a big fan a "bookspace", or any type of community like sites. Blizzard shouldn't follow their path of failure. Not to mention it might get worse.

Someone needs to talk sense to blizzard about this or we're screwed...

That's the thing. If Facebook is offering Blizzard money for this like the rumor states, then there is no way they will be talked out of this. Hands down, Blizzard is a company. Companies like money. Money is what they are (probably) getting for a deal like this.

Best case scenario we can hope for is they'll go through with it, let it slide for a few days, then start working on breaking it off when it becomes so blatantly apparent that it's a terrible idea that even my dead, blind grandfather wouldn't miss it.

Grandfather is enraged!
Grandfather throws teeth!

Worst case scenario, this is here to stay, people will grow to adapt and society will become more tolerant to turning down delivery.
Raptorbane

Postby Thaurus » Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:18 pm

Raptorbane wrote:
Thaurus wrote:Its only for unimportant things like my mail and forum accounts =P. For games and other important things i use Difficulter passwords.

True,
Yet i still find it easyer to remember if my own name is in it for a part.
But i would not be at any loss if someone stole my forum account, Or my Email. Since i never use it anyway.

I can remake those things anytime. And therefor. i dont give a damn if they stole it.
Thaurus

Postby Raptorbane » Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:19 am

Thaurus wrote:
Raptorbane wrote:

True,
Yet i still find it easyer to remember if my own name is in it for a part.
But i would not be at any loss if someone stole my forum account, Or my Email. Since i never use it anyway.

I can remake those things anytime. And therefor. i dont give a damn if they stole it.

Your WoW forum account is the same one you use to log into the game. If a person takes your email, regardless of whether you use it a lot or not, anything (forms, applications, notes to friends) you've used that email for can be found by that person. They can fill out lost password reports for anything tied to that email and take hold of it.

But that's not the issue here. This isn't a matter of having your WoW account or email stolen, it's an invasion of privacy. The first rule your parents and a lot of other gaming sites tells you is to never give out your name, YOUR FULL NAME, on the internet. There are myriad things that even a hobbyist legal hacker can do with your name.

Oh well. The first incident of someone being stalked / killed because their name was posted all over the forums by Blizzard and Bobby Kotick is in for it.

http://kotaku.com/5499061/accused-game- ... d-survives (Warning: Mildly bloody medical stuff, kid in internet cafe accused of cheating is stabbed in the head with a foot long knife)

http://kotaku.com/5550609/man-spends-si ... rike-rival (Frenchman spends months plotting the murder of his counter strike rival for beating him in a knife fight)
Raptorbane

Next

Return to General