Yes you're not dreaming

Post your own art for critique and/or discussion.

Yes you're not dreaming

Postby Belse » Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:37 pm

Well, here we go.

As you propably know I'm kinda famous for my inability to draw even the simplest thing. But I decided to give it a try, downloaded paint.net and made this attempt for a comic. So here you are:

Due to some problem with the format I had to remake it, the second verision isn't as detailed as the original but whatever.
In the end all must serve the one... true... KING!
Belse

Location: Somewhere at the border between Sweden and Norway in your car, watching your TV

Postby kozom1234 » Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:39 pm

midgit is gonna get pwwwwwnnnnneeeedddd!

i like it :D

btw speaking of punting, in a game i got (persona 4 [LOVE IT!!!]) a team member has a move called galactic punt where they kick a bad guy out of the battle :lol:

but that's not art related...or is it? (hint hint)
If i use my mouse to turn how do I click Lifebloom?

kozom1234

Postby Belse » Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:48 pm

kozom1234 wrote:midgit is gonna get pwwwwwnnnnneeeedddd!

i like it :D

btw speaking of punting, in a game i got (persona 4 [LOVE IT!!!]) a team member has a move called galactic punt where they kick a bad guy out of the battle :lol:

but that's not art related...or is it? (hint hint)

Thanks. But something that awesome got to be related to everything :lol:
Belse

Location: Somewhere at the border between Sweden and Norway in your car, watching your TV

Postby TedTheBug » Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:29 pm

Lol, that's funneh.
TedTheBug

Postby Belse » Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:20 am

TedTheBug wrote:Lol, that's funneh.

Thanks, I'll make a new one soon(tm)
Belse

Postby Belse » Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:03 pm

Well, here's a new one. The person to the left is my WoW character, and yes, he really looks like that. I also stole a bit made by Keydar (guess which one :wink: ) Also the chat bubbles got a little hard to see but I'm sure you'll manage to understand them.

And just to clarify... IT'S A ROBE!!! :evil:
Belse

Postby kozom1234 » Sat Mar 14, 2009 3:07 pm

i made one to keep you company.

i mispelt might on purpose...yes that's it...
If i use my mouse to turn how do I click Lifebloom?

kozom1234

Postby TedTheBug » Sat Mar 14, 2009 3:49 pm

:D iLol'd.
BTW, you might wanna work on the text bubble a little bit, if that can be done. I've never used paint.
TedTheBug

Postby judgement14 » Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:00 pm

Belse wrote:Well, here's a new one. The person to the left is my WoW character, and yes, he really looks like that. I also stole a bit made by Keydar (guess which one :wink: ) Also the chat bubbles got a little hard to see but I'm sure you'll manage to understand them.

And just to clarify... IT'S A ROBE!!! :evil:

ITS KAYDAR

DON'T JUDGE ME!!!
judgement14

Postby à» Sat Mar 14, 2009 6:12 pm

D: Kozom, mind if I gave you some paint.net tips? ><
ÃÂ

Postby Belse » Sun Mar 15, 2009 2:43 am

TedTheBug wrote::D iLol'd.
BTW, you might wanna work on the text bubble a little bit, if that can be done. I've never used paint.

Me or Kozom? But yea, I had some issues with them when I uploaded the second one, and I will try to work around the background showing through letters like d or b.
Belse

Postby felldain » Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:49 am

I think you should improve your drawing skills, just to make your joke delivery a bit more coherent. Here's an example of a comic done in paint:

This guy posted a tutorial on his work, but I couldn't find it so I'll run through a few tips.

Establish a process for your comic making and stick to it. By planning, you'll be much more efficient (and always write text in speech bubbles last, so you don't have the problem you had with your second comic)

Use broader lines; the paintbrush tool is great for this (Ant himself gets his line effect by drawing a thick line, then thinning it down with the eraser, this gives you more control over the line, so you can make them more accurate and dynamic).

Don't be tempted to use the oval and square tools to draw with; they just end up making your comic look flat and amateurish.

Use custom colours, not the pre-set ones on the palette; again, bright colours will make you look like an amateur, more neutral colours (colours that are closer to grey) are easier on the eye.

If you use shadows avoid gradients

Make your comic smaller; there is a lot of unused space in your comic and it just makes it look empty (in your initial comic, the sun could have been closer, drawing a bit more scenery would help).

Use panels and borders, they make a comic less confusing and easier to follow.

Practice producing facial expressions; this will make or break your humour.

And lastly; make sure you pin down a specific style and stick with it, a lot of comic artists remove features they consider arbitrary (for example keydar does not draw noses) it's best to get rid of unnecessary detail when drawing because it saves you time and your comic will be more coherent.

I reckon there'd be a major improvement in your work if you followed these guidelines.
Oh and by the way i was being sarcastic!
felldain

Postby TedTheBug » Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:52 am

Belse wrote:

Me or Kozom? But yea, I had some issues with them when I uploaded the second one, and I will try to work around the background showing through letters like d or b.

Can't you make the speech bubbles the same colour as the background? Seems that could work...unless I know nothing about paint, which is true.
TedTheBug

Postby Chatrata » Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:54 am

You could, however doing the text last is the best idea.
Chatrata

Location: Trying to work out if it's the Red Bull or the Avenging Wrath that gives me wings.

Postby Belse » Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:50 pm

TedTheBug wrote:
Belse wrote:

Can't you make the speech bubbles the same colour as the background? Seems that could work...unless I know nothing about paint, which is true.

That could work, I also thought about painting the background in the same color as the speechbubble behind it but your method is propably better.
Belse

Next

Return to Art