Photoshop nyuubie

Post your own art for critique and/or discussion.

Photoshop nyuubie

Postby Apple » Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:05 pm

My boyfriend got me a wacom tablet for birthday present and it took a while for me to get use to it.
Right now I still don't know how to do the inking but i m really looking forward to it.

Apple

Postby nazgol » Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:12 am

i love it :D good work :!:
nazgol

Postby Oratrix » Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:06 am

nice drawings :)
the "inking part" in PS is pretty easy:

first of insert a new layer, select the brush you want, then click on the line tool, recreate the lines, right-click on the lines, choose stroke lines and there you have it (you don't need your tablet for this :) its easy by mouse ;) ).
after this you can start with the cell shading
here is a shading tutorial which is easy to learn from:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKQLsvr3ZoM
Oratrix

Postby Apple » Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:35 am

Oratrix wrote:nice drawings :)
the "inking part" in PS is pretty easy:

first of insert a new layer, select the brush you want, then click on the line tool, recreate the lines, right-click on the lines, choose stroke lines and there you have it (you don't need your tablet for this :) its easy by mouse ;) ).
after this you can start with the cell shading
here is a shading tutorial which is easy to learn from:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKQLsvr3ZoM

Amazing. I actually want to learn more about advanced shading such as adding shines and CG effects.
>_< I know i m asking too much. Meanwhile when the server was down today, I wanted to draw one of my friend. I had no idea what the warrior's season 2 looks like exactly so had to doddle it out of my very limited short term memories.

:D

anyhow...

Apple

Postby Oratrix » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:24 am

If you want to know the look of specific items you should try out the WoW Modelviewer from http://www.wowmodelviewer.org/
Btw why are there no eyes in your doodles?
Now worship me and do my bidding!
Oratrix

Postby Apple » Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:02 pm

Oratrix wrote:If you want to know the look of specific items you should try out the WoW Modelviewer from http://www.wowmodelviewer.org/
Btw why are there no eyes in your doodles?

I wanted to look more serious o.O
Apple

Postby Oratrix » Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:11 am

Anyway, why don't you try to fix the lines and colourize your pictures?
I look forward to seeing them :)
Oratrix

Postby Links » Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:23 pm

they are great ;)
Links

Postby Apple » Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:18 pm

Links wrote:they are great ;)

>_< I tried adding color but it turned out HORRIBLE. They look way to ugly for me to post them T^T

I guess ill have to learn some basic shading/coloring before attempting the hard ones.

>_< The right hand looked weird but I was too tired to fix..anyhow..
Apple

Re: Photoshop nyuubie

Postby zimah » Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:23 am

Apple wrote:My boyfriend got me a wacom tablet for birthday present and it took a while for me to get use to it.
Right now I still don't know how to do the inking but i m really looking forward to it.

its very nice :)

and inking with a wacom isnt easy, i been just learning it myself and used it now for a few months, but i love it and you will quite easily get used to it too, so its just keep on trying ^^

and if you want to learn a bit of inking and coloring, and if you use photoshop, look at this site, she has great tutorials :)
http://neondragonart.com/dp/tutmenu.html
zimah

Postby Oratrix » Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:43 am

zimah wrote:and inking with a wacom isn't easy, i've been just learning it myself

if you try the inking part by hand it is way harder than inking with real paper and a real pen...
But if you use the line tool you can quickly ink anything from lines to curves etc.
It has a nice and steady flow...
i'll abuse apple's thread to show you what i mean:
I purchased my first wacom tablet about 2 weeks ago and this is the first picture drawn with it....
1. is the sketch 2. is where i inked the outlines with the linetool 3. when i tried shading
>>edit<<
Last edited by Oratrix on Sun Feb 10, 2008 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oratrix

Postby zimah » Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:08 pm

Oratrix wrote:
zimah wrote:and inking with a wacom isn't easy, i've been just learning it myself

if you try the inking part by hand it is way harder than inking with real paper and a real pen...
But if you use the line tool you can quickly ink anything from lines to curves etc.
It has a nice and steady flow...
i'll abuse apple's thread to show you what i mean:
I purchased my first wacom tablet about 2 weeks ago and this is the first picture drawn with it....
1. is the sketch 2. is where i inked the outlines with the linetool 3. when i tried shading

im well aware with the linetool in photoshop, been working with that program for 8+ years ;)

but i dont like those perfect lines, its all about wut u want for feeling in the image... and inking by hand is way easier than with a wacom, and way quicker than using the linetool, imo.

but then again, its all bout wut u been working with before and for how long. i been trying lots of methods and like myself to use the wacom for some smooth rough, yet clean lines for my art.

here is my 3 different inked versions:

with the wacom
with the linetool
with a inkpen on paper

well, just my 2 cents in this discussion...

theres no right or wrong in inking, try different methods and stick with wut feels best for u.
zimah

Postby Oratrix » Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:29 pm

zimah wrote:
im well aware with the linetool in photoshop, been working with that program for 8+ years ;)
but i dont like those perfect lines, its all about wut u want for feeling in the image... and inking by hand is way easier than with a wacom, and way quicker than using the linetool, imo.
but then again, its all bout wut u been working with before and for how long. i been trying lots of methods and like myself to use the wacom for some smooth rough, yet clean lines for my art.
theres no right or wrong in inking, try different methods and stick with wut feels best for u.

First:
I took the liberty of browsing through you deviations -
Your drawing skills are superb!!
after seeing those pictures i feel like i should remove mine from DA instantly :shock: (and if i may ask, why are a lot of them... um.. nude?)

Anyway back to topic:
I agree with you... one should use the method he or she is most comfortable with....
In spite of that i think that it also depends on what you are drawing and in which style.
F.E. if you draw landscapes, "realistic" people and things that use similiar drawing techniques those clean linetool lines won't look good....
But in Cartooning there are always clean lines because the picture will be easier to grasp. Clean lines are also usefull with digital cartooning -
I for instance think that it is far easier to cell shade with these (and of course there is the time factor - but we can leave that aside since art is something you want to put some effort into) in "cartoon" style (american style, manga&anime, etc...).

There is only one artist i know of, who did not use clear outlines for his comics and they still looked very good:
Don Rosa and his uncle scrooge comics... i read tons of them at the age of
7-10....

The WoW Characters are based on the Warcraft 3 cartoon style
which is why i think the line tool looks better on them...
But in the end it's a question of what you're most comfortable with, which direction of style your picture is using and what your style is like.

But we should stop drifting away about ink methods and wait which one apple will chose :P
Oratrix

Return to Art