For the love of God, I've told you already - I'm an atheist!

Discuss anything!

For the love of God, I've told you already - I'm an atheist!

Postby vergil77 » Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:58 am

Atheists. Some treat them as normal members of society, others see them as blasphemous lechers and satanists without morality. What is your opinion about them, and atheism in general?
vergil77

Postby Liquidrock » Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:15 pm

I could care less what your ethnicity is.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
Liquidrock

Postby vergil77 » Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:48 pm

*facepalm*

Atheism is basically a lack of belief in gods or any other divine entities, etc. It has nothing to do with ethnicity.
vergil77

Postby Gabtraf » Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:11 pm

vergil77 wrote:*facepalm*

Atheism is basically a lack of belief in gods or any other divine entities, etc. It has nothing to do with ethnicity.

Good friend of mine is atheist, I have no problem with it. Some people would think you're a horrible person, but frankly I've met a lot of nice people who are atheist..

To me, I don't mind if people don't believe in a god. That is their choice, not mine.
Darkness Incarnate..
Gabtraf

Postby Raptorbane » Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:42 am

Gabtraf wrote:

Good friend of mine is atheist, I have no problem with it. Some people would think you're a horrible person, but frankly I've met a lot of nice people who are atheist..

To me, I don't mind if people don't believe in a god. That is their choice, not mine.

A lot of people seem to think Atheist immediately means "asshole" when it only means what Vergil said. :T We just don't think there's a god-figure pulling our strings.
Raptorbane

Postby Jomjo » Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:18 pm

What do atheists believe in when they die? I mean it can't just be blackness forever. Life can't just "end" could it?

I myself believe in science/evolution but as well as reincarnation. Yeah is confusing, deal with it.
"The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory."
Jomjo

Postby Raptorbane » Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:32 pm

Jomjo wrote:What do atheists believe in when they die? I mean it can't just be blackness forever. Life can't just "end" could it?

I myself believe in science/evolution but as well as reincarnation. Yeah is confusing, deal with it.

Atheism is a lack of religion. Believing in something does not immediately equal religion. I myself would like to believe in reincarnation, but I am also a scientific in that I don't believe in things there are no proof to, and so, I do not believe in "God", a God-like figure, or reincarnation.

The part where hardcore Christians try to get me is "WELL THEN WHEN YOU DIE AND THERE IS A GOD, I WILL HAVE BEEN RIGHT AND YOU WILL HAVE BEEN WRONG SO THERE". Guess what?

I can admit to being wrong, if you'll prove me so.
Raptorbane

Postby Lanthroviel » Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:24 am

Jomjo wrote:What do atheists believe in when they die? I mean it can't just be blackness forever. Life can't just "end" could it?

Meh, who said there would be blackness?
Do you remember anything from before you were born?Same here.You won't have blackness, hell or even void, you'll have nothing, which isn't so bad since you won't be able to notice it.
After that, maybe you'll come back 10 years later in another body, but since you wont know it, the result is pretty much the same from your point of view.
[size=0]Or maybe religions are right, and you'll then meet God, or Satan, or Chuck Norris or the spaghetti monster, or GodBearJesus who knows...[/size]
(and this is the 1111 post, lulz.)
Web... Web has changed....
Lanthroviel

Postby Liquidrock » Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:19 pm

eth·nic·i·ty [eth-nis-i-tee]
–noun,plural-ties.
1. Ethnic traits, background, allegiance, or association.

ethnic or ethnical (ˈɛθnɪk)
1. relating to or characteristic of a human group having racial, religious, linguistic, and certain other traits in common

By sharing the same belief, or in this case; disbelief, as other Athiests makes you part of an ethnic group.

As for me, I'm baptized Catholic but I'm Agnostic in my beliefs.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
Liquidrock

Postby Crusader » Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:13 am

I'm an Atheist, most people around here are in fact. I don't believe in an afterlife, souls or reincarnation or anything like that. I don't fear death, I fear the moment before death where I may consider the things I did/didn't do or the matters left unresolved. Death itself in my eyes is nothingness, so I won't be around in any way or form to have a view or feeling on the matter.

To add, I'm also a Humanist. Humanists strive to improve the world by being generally good to other people. I strive to be polite in word and action even when others are not and go out of my way to help others. Not just when it is almost forced on me, but to actively offer when I see someone who might need it. Humanism is not a religion, but rather a outlook on life. You can be a Humanist Athiest, Christian, Muslim, etc. The two are not mutually exclusive. Nowadays it's often every man for himself. People find it refreshing if someone helps them without expecting anything in return. That gratitude is to me a reward in itself showing that this is the right way forward to me.

And if I'm wrong and there is heaven and hell and I am called to God's throne, so to speak, I hope he will judge me by my actions, rather then me not going to my knees every Sunday to praise His name.
Crusader

Postby vergil77 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:53 am

Liquidrock wrote:By sharing the same belief, or in this case; disbelief, as other Athiests makes you part of an ethnic group.

No, it doesn't. You see, as opposed to religion, atheism is NOT a system of beliefs, some sort of specific group, society, or anything like that. In itself, atheism is simply a lack of belief in deities, and that's it. It takes more than a single idea to make an ethnic group.

I mean it can't just be blackness forever. Life can't just "end" could it?

Why?
vergil77

Postby Raptorbane » Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:57 am

vergil77 wrote:
Liquidrock wrote:By sharing the same belief, or in this case; disbelief, as other Athiests makes you part of an ethnic group.

No, it doesn't. You see, as opposed to religion, atheism is NOT a system of beliefs, some sort of specific group, society, or anything like that. In itself, atheism is simply a lack of belief in deities, and that's it. It takes more than a single idea to make an ethnic group.

Today I learned that "infidelity" actually means "lack of religious beliefs". Does this mean all atheists are infidels?

The thought of being an "infidel" excites me for reasons unknown.
Raptorbane

Postby Bright_eyes » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:13 pm

Meh I'm sorta-almost Atheist. I believe in reincarnation and natural spirits *insert ramble*, however saying I'm an Atheist is just faster.

I've meet a few of those hardcore Christians. There is actually a group of them that preach right outside of the supermarket where I live. One day, I had just kinda had it with them, so this conversation occurred:
Super Religious Guy (SRG): HAVE YOU FOUND JESUS?
Me: No one told me to look for him.
SRG: YOU MEAN YOU HAVEN'T FOUND HIM?
Me: Why does it matter?
SRG: *Rants about JEEESUUUUSSSS for a few minutes*
Me: What would you say if I told you I don't believe in God? Or Jesus, for that matter?
SRG: :shock: You're gonna burn in hell!
Me: That's what your loving, fair God would do?
SRG: You would deserve it!
Me: Says who?
SRG: Me!
Me: Since when are you God?
SRG: *Rants some more about me burning in hell. At this point, he becomes so over zealous his wildly gesturing arm hits me with his flyer*

>.<
And there is a girl in my class who has dubbed herself Wiccan because she 'Doesn't believe in God, however [she] also [doesn't] believe in Satan but [she] believes in something so she has to be Wiccan because, after all, there are only those fours beliefs to chose from'
:roll:

Also: I believe, in death, you see what you expect to see.
Bright_eyes

Postby Darthruneis » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:30 pm

As far as I know I'm one of the only atheists in my neighborhood and school, although its not like its a popular topic so I don't have a very good idea of who may also be. I don't keep it a secret but I don't openly proclaim it, so I suppose I'm treated normally.

Mostly I don't think half of my state cares about anything other than themselves, lol.

I haven't really given the 'afterlife' nor death much thought, and I'd rather not dwell on them. What happens happens and I'll try my best to stay alive long enough to make a difference to either the world or at least to those who are close to me. I just hope however I die doesn't hurt like a bitch.
Darthruneis

Postby The Great JT » Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:23 am

To me, there's three things you NEVER talk about with anyone.

1. Religion
2. Politics
3. Fight Club

The Punchmaster. Do Not Question Him.
The Great JT

Next

Return to General