SCIENCE WOOHOO YAYAYAY!!!1
48%
It's pretty nice.
35%
I don't really care.
4%
Science is not very interesting imho.
No votes
No. And why do your stupid polls always have five options, Bobson?
13%

Total votes : 23

Science!

Postby Bobson » Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:12 am

Sooooooo I'm back. Again. And why not celebrate this by starting a new thread. Like I usually do. *ahem* :roll:

I like science. Very much. 'Tis my passion! And I couldn't really find/be arsed to look for the Stonemaker Argument thread, which is kinda science-y - so I made my own science thread (and included a poll because ... I like doin' that too!).

In addition, I've been pondering about something for a few days now, and I intend to use those thoughts as a starter for this thread. Anyway, here we go!

---------- *WARNING: EXTREME NERDYNESS AFTER THIS LINE!* -----------

As mentioned in the Stonemaker Argument about Sam the Photon, the photons are travelling at light-speed, and as time is relative to speed, shouldn't they therefore be timeless, experiencing millions and millions of years in zero seconds?
Now comes the pondering: If that is the case, is light-speed what we experience, or what they experience?
And if it is what we experience, isn't the speed of light just the speed as we see it, due to our own speed?
And if you see many years instantly at light-speed, if you then found the absolute zero regarding speed, would you be timeless the other way round? Experiencing zero seconds in millions and millions of years? Or would the ramifications (spelling please?) of absolute zero speed be even more out of our imagining?
That was all for now, and something to think about ... I hope. :)

--------------------- *Extreme nerdyness ends here.* -------------------------

tl;dr: Guess you don't like science after all. :roll: :wink:

edit: Removal of Sam the Photon quotes and correction of the theory, which was portrayed wrongly.
Last edited by Bobson on Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Bobson is my name
and WoW is my game!
I can play a mage of frost
but also one of flame!
My warrior's rage I can easily tame!
30 pics per second
that is my frame,
and I pwn all the noobs who thinks I am lame!
Bobson

Postby Raptorbane » Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:50 am

myyy heeeeeead
Raptorbane

Postby vergil77 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:53 pm

Provided that Earth moves around the Sun, the Solar System moves around the core of galaxy, and galaxy possibly moves around another core of some kind, it'd be quite a feat to even find an object that has absolutely no velocity (V = 0). Hell, the universe itself widens, doesn't it? Then everything - aside from the core of universe - moves with some speed, hmm?

Of course our universe could move around the core of some kind of multi-verse, and so on, and so on - making the matter even more complicated.

I guess humanity will sooner die off than know the answer to this question.

Hmmm... did I mix something up? *scratches head* *shrugs*
vergil77

Postby Lanthroviel » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:27 pm

I prefer troll physics :D.
I do wonder if, given time, that one would work:

Probably not, but it's funny to think so :3
Web... Web has changed....
Lanthroviel

Postby Bobson » Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:59 am

Soooo when would things be considered necro? Anyway:
Lanth, why not? If you have a mirror ten lightyears away, and 10 + 10 equals 20, then it should be, theoretically, possible. Although you would need a pretty large mirror if it should be able to reflect yourself ten lightyears away.
Bobson is my name
and WoW is my game!
but also one of flame!
30 pics per second
that is my frame,
Bobson

Postby Raptorbane » Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:51 pm

Bobson wrote:Soooo when would things be considered necro? Anyway:
Lanth, why not? If you have a mirror ten lightyears away, and 10 + 10 equals 20, then it should be, theoretically, possible. Although you would need a pretty large mirror if it should be able to reflect yourself ten lightyears away.

You'd also need very precise aim to see yourself in a mirror so far away and not an angled view of some other place on the Earth, if I'm not mistaken.

Also I consider it a necro when the thread has been dead forever, but not if it was raised again with good cause. I'd make an example but I can't think of any, what does that say!
Raptorbane

Postby The Great JT » Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:59 pm

You guys are making science cry.

The Punchmaster. Do Not Question Him.
The Great JT

Postby Bobson » Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:26 am

The Great JT wrote:You guys are making science cry.

You've been flaming quite much lately :/

But for JT's sake, changing topic.

The fourth dimension! If we try to travel to the end of the universe, the fourth dimension will make sure we eventually reach where we began. Aaaaaand go.

Why I feel pathetic now? :oops:
Bobson is my name
and WoW is my game!
but also one of flame!
30 pics per second
that is my frame,
Bobson

Postby Ghost467 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:29 am

The fourth dimension is a myth. Just like Benjamin Franklin. Because everybody knows, HES THE DEVIL, BOBBY'S MOMMA INVENTED ELECTRICITY!

[size=0](If you don't get it smash your head into the wall and once you wake up watch Waterboy.)[/size]
Keydar wrote:Morals require thought!
Ghost467

Postby jurnag12 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:25 am

Bobson wrote:
The Great JT wrote:You guys are making science cry.

You've been flaming quite much lately :/

But for JT's sake, changing topic.

The fourth dimension! If we try to travel to the end of the universe, the fourth dimension will make sure we eventually reach where we began. Aaaaaand go.

Why I feel pathetic now? :oops:

Isn't the fourth dimension time? Which isn't even a spatial dimension thus has no effect on distances?
EVIL BARACK OBAMA SEZ GTFO
jurnag12

Postby Rales » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:44 am

I am not quite sure I understand the original post correctly but as you probably know, light acts as a wave. It will always move away from you at the speed of light. Therefore, the speed and position of the beholder is irrelevant.

Unless you are on the event horizon of a black hole where time grinds to a halt. Unfortunately, you'd be very dead.
Rales lvl85 BM/MM Hunter
Mirrawr lvl85 Disc/Holy Priest
Rales

Re: Science!

Postby Orcbasherstalker » Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:39 pm

Must....resist.....portal 2 reference.....
Anyways, if you are in the 4th dimension, do you make a 3 dimensional shadow?
And how do you look in the 4th dimension? Like, 3d is how we look now, so how do we look in 4d? Cubey?
I am the hater of rogues,
Player of fire mages,
and consumer of all dairy products.
Orcbasherstalker

Re: Science!

Postby MechanicalRaven » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:43 am

The EXTREME NERDYNESS questions are not really scientific and would be understood after some formal and basic physics studies, even before university's first year.
[Hope I don't sound arrogant]
For example - finding the absolute zero speed - that's the idea of Einstein, that everything is relative and there is no such thing as complete zero speed and all depends on the zero conditions you choose. You can decide you are the point of zero and the whole world is relative to you and it would be completely acceptable.
Orcbasherstalker and others who talk about the 4th dimension - The 4th one would be time, and you don't 'look' at it and there is no shadow from it to 3D,
and same with any other dimension except the know 3D.
You would need totally different senses to feel/understand any higher dimension.And why limit yourself to four? Some theories can get to 11th and even higher.

The last post is pretty new so don't blame me for bumping.
MechanicalRaven

Return to General