Discuss anything about DLC

Postby Keydar » Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:26 pm

Keydar
Site Admin

Postby joemann » Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:52 pm

Gnomes are very suscipious of everyone, especially their own kind.

Also, there should be a question mark in the last panel, "Level what?," you have a period (sorry I am a grammar Nazi at times).
joemann

Postby The Great JT » Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:53 pm

Yeah, don't even get me started on the time a Forsaken asked me to help him "level cooking."

The Punchmaster. Do Not Question Him.
The Great JT

Postby Ghost467 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 6:00 pm

Must....eat....gnomes.
Keydar wrote:Morals require thought!
Ghost467

Postby Raptorbane » Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:13 pm

joemann wrote:Gnomes are very suscipious of everyone, especially their own kind.

Also, there should be a question mark in the last panel, "Level what?," you have a period (sorry I am a grammar Nazi at times).

There is no true grammatical error there. Keydar used the period to denote that Narya was being incredibly hard-spoken / flat when saying the "what". It's more a comic thing than a writing thing, kind of like when you -know- what someone is talking about but you still say "what".

For example

"dude i just no-clipped into the sky"
"what."
Raptorbane

Postby joemann » Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:52 pm

Raptorbane wrote:
joemann wrote:Gnomes are very suscipious of everyone, especially their own kind.

There is no true grammatical error there. Keydar used the period to denote that Narya was being incredibly hard-spoken / flat when saying the "what". It's more a comic thing than a writing thing, kind of like when you -know- what someone is talking about but you still say "what".

For example

"dude i just no-clipped into the sky"
"what."

It is still grammatically wrong. You can still get the hard-spoken/flat tone by having the word bold-faced as it is in the comic and be grammatically correct. He also could have used the exclamation point followed by a question mark for the same thing (!?).
joemann

Postby Raptorbane » Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:43 pm

joemann wrote:It is still grammatically wrong. You can still get the hard-spoken/flat tone by having the word bold-faced as it is in the comic and be grammatically correct. He also could have used the exclamation point followed by a question mark for the same thing (!?).

Okay yea, it is grammatically wrong, I dunno why I said it wasn't. What I'm trying to say is that this is the internet, the world where great grammar almost sort of doesn't exist. Grammar has been influenced by this magnificent place, as one cannot induce sarcasm or inflection by conventional writing. There is no sound to it. For example, you don't know I'm yelling until you see "!" at the end of my potentially really long run on sentence!

BUT IF I TYPE IN ALL CAPITALS, SOMETHING YOU DON'T GENERALLY SEE IN A BOOK OR ESSAY, YOU PROBABLY THINK I'M SHOUTING.

Boldfacing and italics are great ways to show inflection or hard-spoken words, I agree there, though I'll still defend the period-as-a-question mark simply because I myself am better able to imagine in my head how flatly Narya is saying "what". To me, the punctuation of a sentence indicates tone of voice, and by using a period where Keydar did, Narya does not sound like he is really questioning Miji.

With all that said, Keydar's new bold-a-ton-of-words way of typesetting is giving me the whole WoW comics effect where I imagine the character loudly exclaiming the words in bold (it's okay, I still love you Halford, I just think you talk weird).
Raptorbane

Postby joemann » Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:55 pm

I completely understand your point Raptor. I just get very anal when I see grammar mistakes. It comes from the 8+ years of having it slammed into my head in English classes in school.

I hope you realize you are driving me insane by placing punctuation outside of quotation marks. Not sure if you are doing this on purpose or not, but it is driving me bonkers (to say the least), and I mean this in a good way.
joemann

Postby Ghost467 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:40 pm

He gets anal.

*moves away from joemann.
Ghost467

Postby Raptorbane » Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:56 am

joemann wrote:I hope you realize you are driving me insane by placing punctuation outside of quotation marks. Not sure if you are doing this on purpose or not, but it is driving me bonkers (to say the least), and I mean this in a good way.

I don't know if you mean I'm doing it right or I'm doing it wrong, because unless the punctuation is part of the quote, placing it outside the quotations is correct (that's just me saying "I'm right").

"So what are you up to Saturday?" Raptorbane asked.
"Probably just stuffing my face full of Cheetos and not e-mailing you," Ghost replied dully.

But if you're just quoting, say, a phrase you "may have heard somewhere" in the center of your sentence, unless there is specific punctuation that goes with that quote, any punctuation would go "after the fact".
(examples examples examples...)

The one that bothers me is when people end their sentences with a phrase in parenthesis (the annoying part is that they put the punctuation inside, when really it belongs on the outside). I annoy myself with this sometimes by putting like 2984692 paragraphs -in- the brackets when really I don't mean to. Then I lose track of where my punctuation goes. :|
Raptorbane

Postby Chimina » Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:15 am

It's called 'deviation in substance'

It is common in literature and other works of writing, to deviate from the norm (= correct punctuation) to make the text more enjoyable by making it different, surprising you.

By bolding a lot of words individually a similar effect is created. Kinda like Emily Dickinson's random capitalization of words.

Author freedom > grammar Nazi.
Chimina

Postby joemann » Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:19 am

Raptorbane wrote:
joemann wrote:I hope you realize you are driving me insane by placing punctuation outside of quotation marks. Not sure if you are doing this on purpose or not, but it is driving me bonkers (to say the least), and I mean this in a good way.

I don't know if you mean I'm doing it right or I'm doing it wrong, because unless the punctuation is part of the quote, placing it outside the quotations is correct (that's just me saying "I'm right").

"So what are you up to Saturday?" Raptorbane asked.
"Probably just stuffing my face full of Cheetos and not e-mailing you," Ghost replied dully.

But if you're just quoting, say, a phrase you "may have heard somewhere" in the center of your sentence, unless there is specific punctuation that goes with that quote, any punctuation would go "after the fact".
(examples examples examples...)

The one that bothers me is when people end their sentences with a phrase in parenthesis (the annoying part is that they put the punctuation inside, when really it belongs on the outside). I annoy myself with this sometimes by putting like 2984692 paragraphs -in- the brackets when really I don't mean to. Then I lose track of where my punctuation goes. :|

I was always taught that punctuation goes inside the quotation marks no matter what: wether or not it was part of a quote, especially end punctuation. Looks like I learned something today, though punctuation outside of quotation marks looks really weird.
joemann

Postby Alron » Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:08 am

Okay, guys... this is a goddamned webcomic forum. Why are you talking about grammar here?!
Alron

Postby kozom1234 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:13 am

THIS reminds me of WoW's OFFICIAL comics where random words are sometimes BOLDED.
If i use my mouse to turn how do I click Lifebloom?

kozom1234

Postby Ghost467 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:29 am

Raptorbane wrote:
joemann wrote:"So what are you up to Saturday?" Raptorbane asked.

You never emailed me....
Ghost467

Next

Return to DL comics