Mists of Pandaria - "Yes" or "Hell No"?

Discuss anything relating to World of Warcraft

Mists of Pandaria - "Yes" or "Hell No"?

Postby Snoflake » Sun Oct 30, 2011 4:34 am

Ok, so I watched Blizzcon from the comfort of Australia and admit to squee-ing just a little when Metzen kicked off the trailer for the new ex-pac.

Then we got hit with the pandas.

I had my 'wtf' moment and then watched the hours of stuff on what they wanted to accomplish with this new installment. The talent trees simplified (again), a new class (Monks for those living under rocks), Pandas starting as neutral and getting to choose your faction at level 10 (O.o), pokemon battles with our companion pets (yea, you heard it right), Looking for Raid for noo...er... casuals (a third difficulty level: easy), challenge mode dungeons, min range gone on hunters but we lose our melee wep (bows go mainhand with stats to match), in fact all ranged/relic/wand slots are gone (apparently they were pointless) - it just goes on and on. And this is only the starting information.

What are your thoughts with the prospect of these changes looming on the horizon?
Snoflake

Location: Australia: the only safe place in any American disaster flick

Re: Mists of Pandaria - "Yes" or "Hell No"?

Postby Rendarius » Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:37 am

I heard that they are making the dungeons pugable again. Which is alright with me.

Also PVE Scenarios. Seems to me that they are adding alot this expansion, and not just for one type of player.
Rendarius

Postby joemann » Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:34 pm

Upon seeing the pandas my thoughts centered around Kung Fu Panda. Seems WoW has gone from a fun game with a decent storyline/story arc, to a game for children.
I definitely won't be playing this expansion.
joemann

Postby Rendarius » Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:52 pm

When I saw Pandas, my first thought was "Holy crap they finally added those pandarens that I've been wanting since I first started playing WoW!"
Rendarius

Postby Usagi-Zakura » Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:32 am

Pandarens are older than Kung Fu Panda, which is already years old on its own so its not really a "new fad" or anything.
They have existed since Warcraft 3, originally as an April's Fools joke, but then it got so popular they were added into the Frozen Throne.

I think it sounds interesting with a race that can be either faction. Personally I hope this is the first step towards a way to let other races "defect" as well. (And I don't mean just your average Faction Change, but something akin to a worgen going through a questline (which should be hard, I would even prefer it if you get yourself hostile with BOTH factions under the way, so you can't enter any major cities apart from neutral ones) and eventually ending up in the Horde.
The Pet Battle System sounds potentially hilarious. Its not something WoW needed at all, but nobody's being forced to use it. Might be fun to try (yes I am a Pokèmon-fan, I would have preferred a real Pokèmon MMO..) Did it need to be panda-bears? Well why not? We already have anthromorphic bears (furbolg), cows (tauren), wolves (worgen) and amphibians (murlocs) and several other weird races. What difference does a panda make? I probably won't be playing one besides actually going through the starting zone, but I don't mind having them around.

As for the class and talent system many of them sound a bit extreme. I have mixed feelings about the no minimum range for hunters. Its good that I no longer have to stay 5 feet away at all times just to use Arcane Shot, but at the same time that was part of the challenge... Not that hunter is a very challenging class to begin with (no I am in no way hardcore, but I don't want my games to be TOO easy.)

Don't really care about monks, I didn't like Death Knights either, I have enough with my hunter and druid, and leveling a lock.
Usagi-Zakura

Postby The Great JT » Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:38 am

Rendarius wrote:When I saw Pandas, my first thought was "Holy crap they finally added those pandarens that I've been wanting since I first started playing WoW!"

There's my thought on it.

Expansion will be awesome, bitches gonna bitch.

The Punchmaster. Do Not Question Him.
The Great JT

Postby Kitchwan » Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:38 pm

Maybe, i am sure i will try it but i feel it will just turn into Cataclysm 2.0, lots of disappointment every patch, and Blizzard will most likely lose another large chunk of the Player-base like with Cataclysm.
Kitchwan

Postby Oxycodon » Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:21 am

Remember when I played the extra quest line with Rexxar in WC3 (FT?) and met the silly pandaren that could split itself into three smaller pandas and make beer (almost wrote bear, haha). Haven't really read that much about the upcoming expansion, but I certainly hope that I can see three small pandas wrestling a druid in bear form in BG's when it finally arrives..
Oxycodon

Postby Isyrion » Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:28 am

I'm doing a wait and see what its about before I pass judgement on anything.

The Pandaren look interesting (from a story point of view) and the model is rather well built from the looks of it in the trailer. As for playing one well, have to give it a shot first. I did the same thing with a DK, and found I disliked the play style of one (but the starting quests for one are rather fun) so I deleted mine.

For the monk class again will be the same as a DK, will have to play it and see how it goes, and I picture that at the start you will have 100s of monks running around at low levels, then it will balance out and those that like the class will continue playing it and those who don't will level and maintain one of the other classes. I think its a good thing they are adding another class overall.

Pet battling system, I will admit I did a WTF when I first saw this......and I also said, crap now we have pokewow, but going to try to hold my opinion in check on this until release....it might be a bit fun in between quests, or it might be a bit of a joke.

The Starting area, questing areas and concept look good, expanding the Horde-Alliance war (which BTW will now include a civil war amongst the Pandaren). Over all I can't wait for the release, glad to see they are not quite out of ideas yet. Also I feel that we will prob see at least one more expansion out of WoW after MoP, my reasoning is simple, 1) they seem to be heading to the peak of the story with MoP so that would leave the conclusion of the over all story for the final expansion, 2) the game itself is 7 years old and has started to gain some competition against it (I don't think the SW MMORPG will have a huge impact on WoW as it caters more towards fans of SW, so I view it as more of a niche game (however I could be wrong and it could be the game that starts wow's end)), and finally 3) sooner or later you start running out of story lines and ideas. So I think MoP is the set up for the endgame so to speak.
Isyrion

Postby Luken » Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:06 pm

Finaly they try to add fun thing to the game, instead of just farming. So HELL YEAH!
Luken

Postby Xytan » Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:12 pm

Wait...

WoW is supposed to be fun!?

Here I thought we mindlessly grind and prance around Stormwind with our fancy Celestial Steeds.

I'd like more random, spontaneous, fun stuff like we had in Vanilla.
Xytan

Postby wid0w » Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:13 am

Snoflake, I think you are ready now. Doubting the development of WoW, remembering past expansions, maybe even disliking the now immature and unfriendly community of current World of Warcraft? Yeah, had it too, and had a 3 years lasting break. Well ... up until I .... lemme guess - took an arrow, ah no, wrong game, forgive me.

Up until I .... found an awesome highly populated private Server. And ... you won't believe it: The people are as nice and friendly as they used to be when I played the game. Seems blizzard has some secret brainwashing code inserted into current versions of the game, to turn everyone into a mean immature sociopath.

So yeah, I was able to live quite a long time without World of Warcraft ... but to be honest, I already forgot how fun it was ^^ Yes ... you have to get used to the odd and old rules, but here the usual 'blizzard can never make vanilla servers any more, because they just get boring after a while' - argument does not count. It is for free - it costs you nothing. And letz say you start with classic - until you finished all content in it, it will take at least half a year, if not longer. and if you are finished - advance towards TBC and so on ;) And even if you think past expansions are crap, you can still use it to find out about the greatness of Catashizzle/Piss of Pandaria. Feel free to pm me if you can't find the server by yourself, since I do not have the intention of advertising in here.
wid0w

Postby The Great JT » Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:59 am

You just know day 1, the servers are going to be crowded with pandaren monks. I will refute this! I shall be a pandaren warrior!

The Punchmaster. Do Not Question Him.
The Great JT

Postby Tydosius » Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:53 am

I'm going for a 'hell yes'
Tydosius

Postby Usagi-Zakura » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:00 pm

The Great JT wrote:You just know day 1, the servers are going to be crowded with pandaren monks. I will refute this! I shall be a pandaren warrior!

I made a pandaren hunter in the beta and got to experience the glory of 1000 pandaren monks standing on every quest-item...fun...One of them was a brazier so I asked Blizz to just allow the brazier to burn them to death if the tried:p
Usagi-Zakura

Next

Return to WoW