Postby Sethlaw » Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:58 pm

Poor Keydar :/

Still funny as always <3

P.S. never trust gnomes
It takes an army to kill a paladin and an army of paladins to kill anything
Sethlaw

Re: 328

Postby Stravagante » Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:17 pm

Maybe Krom will sympathize with his lateness to the raid.
He hates that corpse run too.

And Narya's transportation methods.

http://www.darklegacycomics.com/18.html might help you work out this rather vague reference.
I could only have two hundred and fifty five characters and so I thought to myself: Why not fill it up to obtain all use out of it as I can? So that is precisely what I did, with no rhyme or reason, the entire sig exists purely to exist for it's own sake.
Stravagante

Postby The Great JT » Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:05 pm

I'd sooner buy a portal from a black market warlock than Narya.

The Punchmaster. Do Not Question Him.
The Great JT

Postby Dabloxxer » Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:41 pm

Comedy gold. But a terminology correction is that it vaporizes, as evaporation is for when waster turns gaseous without boiling while it is vaporizing when it boils. And yes, water boils in a vacuum. Depending on other conditions.

Edit: why hasn't the air of the cast location and everything else get sucked in?
Life lessons:
1 "When life gives you lemons, make lemonade."
2 "Unless life also gives you sugar and a cup, your lemonade is gonna suck."
3 "If you dont find some water and some ice, your lemomade will still suck."
Dabloxxer

Postby Alcest » Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:33 pm

Ooooooooooooooh if only I could do that in game :lol:
Alcest

Location: Trapped somewhere in the confines of my messed up head

Postby Keydar » Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:48 pm

Dabloxxer wrote:Comedy gold. But a terminology correction is that it vaporizes, as evaporation is for when waster turns gaseous without boiling while it is vaporizing when it boils. And yes, water boils in a vacuum. Depending on other conditions.

Thanks for pointing out the error! In the case of the potion, you're definitely right, and it is really boiling, not evaporating. In the case of the evaporative cooling, I'm not as certain (the phase change is occurring only at the surface, thus evaporation may be right). I changed both examples to vaporization just to be safe.

Dabloxxer wrote:Edit: why hasn't the air of the cast location and everything else get sucked in?

Portals have a semi-permeable force field, duh! That's why you have to click them! Except if you're snow... Yeah... That's the ticket...
Keydar
Site Admin

Postby Aeolius » Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:04 pm

So thats how people "blow up" when they're exposed to space....

Good thing the Twisting Nether wont do that to players ingame :D
Aeolius

Postby Vilianda_EU » Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:13 am

That's got to be the worst corpse run evah, after: http://www.darklegacycomics.com/18.html of course.

At least it's evaporation for the nose, mouth, eyes, and respiratory tract as the "freezing" of these parts is because the evaporation of the moist this draws the heat from the surfaces in a quite similar manner as sweat evaporates to cool your body during a hot day.

Anyways Evaporation or Vaporization it doesn't really matter, all that matters is this epic comic :D
Oh look, a signature!
Vilianda_EU

Postby Sunstep » Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:47 pm

Keydar wrote:
Dabloxxer wrote:Edit: why hasn't the air of the cast location and everything else get sucked in?

Portals have a semi-permeable force field, duh! That's why you have to click them! Except if you're snow... Yeah... That's the ticket...

Magic. And time dragons!
Sunstep

Postby Zoma » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:42 pm

And that's why you should always read the portal's location before clicking it.
Zoma

Postby Zeruku » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:16 pm

oh i certainly hope this hints a new stonemaker argument :D
i mean science comedy right??
Zeruku

Postby tominosik » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:11 pm

Another superhilarious episode! :D Thank you!
tominosik

Postby Esoth » Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:22 pm

Dabloxxer wrote:Comedy gold. But a terminology correction is that it vaporizes, as evaporation is for when waster turns gaseous without boiling while it is vaporizing when it boils. And yes, water boils in a vacuum. Depending on other conditions.

Edit: why hasn't the air of the cast location and everything else get sucked in?

I'm curious what the source of this strip is, or if it's interpreted from more general theory. Some of it seems to match http://imagine.gsfc.nasa.gov/docs/ask_a ... 70603.html (especially the part where the one person subjected to a partial vacuum claimed to feel the water on his tongue start to boil). But it sounds like the swelling is exaggerated here, and also the timeline - Keydar should be able to survive for at least 30 seconds before permanent injury starts.
Esoth

Postby Keydar » Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:58 pm

Esoth wrote:

I'm curious what the source of this strip is, or if it's interpreted from more general theory. Some of it seems to match http://imagine.gsfc.nasa.gov/docs/ask_a ... 70603.html (especially the part where the one person subjected to a partial vacuum claimed to feel the water on his tongue start to boil). But it sounds like the swelling is exaggerated here, and also the timeline - Keydar should be able to survive for at least 30 seconds before permanent injury starts.

Unconsciousness isn't the same as permanent injury. In fact, some sources say that one could make a full recovery even after 90 seconds of exposure (though you will be unconscious for a large portion of this). Also, in the link you mentioned, Joseph Kittinger's hand swelled to about twice its volume, so the swelling is not exaggerated. If you're still unsure, take a look at stuff like fire cupping (warning, it's kind of gross), and see how much the skin rises when exposed to vacuum. Actually, if you want to experience a partial vacuum first hand, ask someone to give you a hickey!

A lot of the strip was from memory, but here are a few things I have read in the past on the subject: Damn Interesting, Bad Astronomy also here, and Wikipedia.
Keydar
Site Admin

Next

Return to DL comics