412

Discuss anything about DLC

412

Postby Keydar » Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:35 pm

Image
User avatar
Keydar
Site Admin
 
Posts: 796
Joined: Sat Oct 28, 2006 9:27 am

Re: 412

Postby Alcest » Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:26 pm

Pretty much all FTP games that overdue their cash shop XD

Well put, Keydar, well put :)
User avatar
Alcest
 
Posts: 168
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:52 am
Location: Trapped somewhere in the confines of my messed up head

Re: 412

Postby Meynos » Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:45 pm

Agreed x100,000,000!

So sick of people demanding a free to play system when they have no idea what it has done to most games that followed through with that idea.

Still, warcraft will not go free to play any time soon. Probably not until they drop below 1 mil subscribers.
Of course you should fight fire with fire! You should fight everything with fire!

Lazy Warlock since 2007.
Meynos
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:30 pm

Re: 412

Postby Keydar » Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:17 pm

Before someone makes a post telling me I am wrong about Free to play models, I'm going to add something here.

I have played many FTP games, and I have enjoyed many of them. The problem is, some of us become stingy bastards as soon as we touch one of these games. Nothing you do will make us spend a single cent. We're somehow okay with paying a premium, but give us a choice, and we choose zero. I feel like this would make a great psychological study, but I digress...

When you allow time spent to be circumvented with real money, the objective becomes less special to many players. Even if this objective is restricted to cosmetic items and the like, to stingy completionists, this will make the game less appealing. They lose motivation and grow tired of the game. Krom would definitely be one of these players.
User avatar
Keydar
Site Admin
 
Posts: 796
Joined: Sat Oct 28, 2006 9:27 am

Re: 412

Postby Eldanari » Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:30 pm

Can't agree any more with the above as well as the comic! I've never been able to get into a game that is FTP because it immediately starts feeling like "pay to win."
Eldanari
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Oct 29, 2006 8:47 am

Re: 412

Postby nyzer » Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:34 pm

We-ll...

Even if I can acquire something in a game by spending game money, I tend not to, unless it's something I can only acquire by spending.

I think for the players that do this sort of thing, "working" for it in-game just doesn't have the same tedious feel of working in real life. Plus there's the feeling of "I can spend this money on other things, so why would I want to spend it on something I can get if I just kill some time and get it that way instead?"
nyzer
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:28 pm

Re: 412

Postby rayden54 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:47 pm

Meynos wrote:Agreed x100,000,000!

So sick of people demanding a free to play system when they have no idea what it has done to most games that followed through with that idea.

Still, warcraft will not go free to play any time soon. Probably not until they drop below 1 mil subscribers.
I'm sick of people who confuse free to play with pay to win.

You're right about one thing though, WoW won't go free to play. They'll double dip instead: charge for the sub and the everything else.
rayden54
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:40 pm

Re: 412

Postby chaoscurtis » Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:23 pm

Oh I know that feeling all too well ...
Image

I've long since retired from retail, but I'll keep this sig up as a memento to the fun I had there.
User avatar
chaoscurtis
 
Posts: 36
Joined: Sun May 22, 2011 5:09 pm
Location: The darkest depths of my twisted mind.

Re: 412

Postby Oberon_Sedai » Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:17 pm

Keydar likes Ringworld ?
Oberon_Sedai
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:16 pm

Re: 412

Postby Varric » Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:21 am

Uh, you just gave me a shock!
Thought WoW was actually go free to play.
Blizzcon ist ahead so you got to expect surprises and I know that Activision CEO Bobby Kotick is a big fan of FTP and probably thinks Blizzard is not exploiting its Players enough.

I know not all FTP models are bullshit. LotRo seems to be pretty decent but SWtoR on the other hand seems to be outright terrible (you have to pay for hotkey slots in your UI there)
While sometimes monthly payment may not seem fair because casual player pay the same as elite-gamers who play 10 hours a day it has the advantage that they also won't make major content that can only be accessed by a small group of elite-gamers. Blizzard made this mistake once (and yes I mean the Sunwell) but learned from it.
User avatar
Varric
 
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:02 am

Re: 412

Postby Anele » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:05 am

Keydar wrote:When you allow time spent to be circumvented with real money, the objective becomes less special to many players. Even if this objective is restricted to cosmetic items and the like, to stingy completionists, this will make the game less appealing. They lose motivation and grow tired of the game. Krom would definitely be one of these players.


Those players need to grow up. It is computer game. If someone plays it because he can farm there some item and fill special about it then he have serious real life problem and need help.
I don't get it, why people care so much about what others have. As long as gear from shop not better then gear from quests\drops there is nothing wrong with it. Noob will be noob, gear can't change that.

P.s. sorry for bad English
Anele
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:34 am

Re: 412

Postby The Great JT » Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:10 am

Fortunately most free-to-play MMOs are smart and know you don't sell power. Then there are those of the special school...
Image

The Punchmaster. Do Not Question Him.
User avatar
The Great JT
 
Posts: 1670
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:00 pm
Location: Orgrimmar

Re: 412

Postby B.O.B. » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:48 am

Anele wrote:
Keydar wrote:When you allow time spent to be circumvented with real money, the objective becomes less special to many players. Even if this objective is restricted to cosmetic items and the like, to stingy completionists, this will make the game less appealing. They lose motivation and grow tired of the game. Krom would definitely be one of these players.


Those players need to grow up. It is computer game. If someone plays it because he can farm there some item and fill special about it then he have serious real life problem and need help.
I don't get it, why people care so much about what others have. As long as gear from shop not better then gear from quests\drops there is nothing wrong with it. Noob will be noob, gear can't change that.

P.s. sorry for bad English


I think Keydar is comparing it to like using cheat codes. I know that while I get an initial rush when I turn on God mode in a game and go bashing about, the thrill wears off and I quickly become bored with the game.
B.O.B.
 
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:46 am

Re: 412

Postby Anele » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:26 am

B.O.B. wrote:I think Keydar is comparing it to like using cheat codes. I know that while I get an initial rush when I turn on God mode in a game and go bashing about, the thrill wears off and I quickly become bored with the game.


And what wrong with it? It is your choice how to play. It is just a option. If game not force you into using those "cheat codes" it is OK. You can farm to get item, or you can use "cheat code"and get it from shop. It is up to you what to do. As I understand many have problem with what someone else can use those "cheat codes" and I don't get it.
Free to play is OK. Pay to win is another story...
Anele
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:34 am

Re: 412

Postby sankto » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:39 am

Anele wrote:Those players need to grow up. It is computer game.


It irk me when i hear that. I don't feel like it is immature to be a big fan of video games, much like it should not be to be a big fan of sports, for example.
User avatar
sankto
 
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:19 pm
Location: Canada, Québec

Next

Return to DL comics

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 4 guests