Discuss anything about DLC

Postby Keydar » Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:02 pm

Keydar
Site Admin

Re: 433

Postby Altran » Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:10 pm

I haven't ever played WoW but I really enjoy your comics Keydar, and I can say that this comic is true for other MMO (or at least my poison of choice - Lineage 2).
Keep up good work Keydar :)
Altran

Postby Sethlaw » Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:38 pm

Haha good one, but tbh! vanilla really was more fun, imo because of the huge amount of interesting people who were around to play the game AND socialize, through the years the general player base kinda got turned into a zombie botocalypse, nowadays you can have a better conversation with npcs compared to the most players you get to meet in game. /cry
It takes an army to kill a paladin and an army of paladins to kill anything
Sethlaw

Postby Ivresse » Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:33 pm

Ivresse

Postby Yatta » Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:24 pm

I always preferred BC. Other than the blatantly OP SL/SL locks, the PvP was probably as balanced as it ever was. And I was never quite able to replicate the fun of ganking on the Isle of Quel'Danas. Oh, the good time that was.
Yatta

Postby Yotora » Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:44 pm

Hahaha, wasn't expecting that punchline xD well... I don't know what I expected to be honest...
Yotora

Postby Tydosius » Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:25 pm

Behold everyone! I have found the cure for WoW being so crap nowadays! And you know what that cure is?
Coincidentally the same cure for those with Stockholm syndrome! Totally unrelated of course!
It's in that room over there! Yes, yes, just keep moving in there, don't mind me while I close and lock the door on you all.

So, now that they're gone, I'll just say that the WoW I played before was significantly worse than the WoW I play now. Everything about the game was simply tolerable and the only reasons they prefer the old one is because the point to the game was the highest numbers, and because the game was newer to them. Now, the game actually expects them to just have fun with the game, and they seem to have a hard time with that.
Tydosius

Postby Zashi » Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:39 am

Tydosius wrote:So, now that they're gone, I'll just say that the WoW I played before was significantly worse than the WoW I play now. Everything about the game was simply tolerable and the only reasons they prefer the old one is because the point to the game was the highest numbers, and because the game was newer to them. Now, the game actually expects them to just have fun with the game, and they seem to have a hard time with that.

Sounds like you're just overgeneralizing and oversimplifying reasons you think you understand but don't. It's true that new-game-bias exists to some degree, however saying the new game is clearly better is a matter of opinion.

For instance, it was nice that in Vanilla, being in a top raiding guild in PVE meant that you were nearly unstoppable in PVP, because resilience wasn't a thing yet, and most casual players were unable to get any gear above blues/tier 1 epics at best. This meant that there was a heightened sense of satisfaction amongst elitists when one acquires tier 3 epics because of the exclusiveness of your gear and the success that transfers to all aspects of the game. Whereas with later expansions, because epics were more easily acquired, it made "epic gear" feel less epic. Furthermore, getting gear so you can get more gear is kinda a boring goal; having PVP as an outlet to fully appreciate your gear was a source of motivation. Nowadays, PVE gear is more strictly PVE because PVP gear is the recommended norm in PVP.

Whether it's a better designed game doesn't really matter at this point. If you're in the upper echelons of the server, your enjoyment of the game is only dependent on your own perspective, especially when you compare past experiences. New WoW is more accommodating to casuals, so I can see why some may prefer that. But it doesn't mean you can deny other people's perspectives as well.

Also 40man chaos was fun (for non-raid leaders) however frustrating it may be. You only have to look at the Onyxia 50 DKP Minus video to see what I mean. It's entertaining in its own way.
Zashi

Postby Sethlaw » Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:19 am

Zashi wrote:Also 40man chaos was fun (for non-raid leaders) however frustrating it may be. You only have to look at the Onyxia 50 DKP Minus video to see what I mean. It's entertaining in its own way.

My all time personal favourite wow video everr <3
It takes an army to kill a paladin and an army of paladins to kill anything
Sethlaw

Return to DL comics